The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Maybe it happened a few years ago ... When I broke my ankle and had to cancel my flight that day.My flights were canceled for several months after that day.   It was the first "real" broken bone ever (yes, the pigtailed short stop did lose that in-field fly to the sun one fine summer day ... She came up with two impressive shiners and a bloody nose ... later discovered to be broken ... nbd). I was impressed by the Pecos cantelope size notice posted on the broken ankle. First a cast, then the big black "boot", then an annoying Velcro brace, then a stretchy support sock-like thing ... (would you believe just writing about it has the nerves nervous?!) ... then a tender footed approach to stairs, and just about anything footwork-wise.  It took awhile to get back on the ellipitical.  I sure didn't want to be benched by another broken bone.

Around that time, my husband's mother came to visit and tried on a pair of Two's super adorable high heeled sandals. It was like seeing a whole different facet of her ... a sparkly side. She normally wears hideously practical old lady shoes ... The kind that guarantee if she falls no one will want to help her up.
 "Let's go shopping." I shocked everyone by blurting out ... Usually I'm not a blurter or a shopper ... It was a double whammy! But, anyone, everyone, woulda responded that way ... I saw a twenty-two year old girl prancing in her during those moments ... She must have slipped in through the shoes. My mother-in-law immediately declined ... Slipping out of the transforming sandals. Yep ... Suddenly ancient again ... Sensible ... she rather dourly stated that she didn't want to take a chance of breaking a bone.
Uh-oh! That sounded familiar. I had taken to wearing ... well, Justin ropers to be specific. Yeah ... They are cute with dresses. I didn't start the trend, but it rolled in at the perfect time. I got busy working back up to super adorable high heel sandals ... And pumps. I really like snazzy shoes. Boring old lady shoes are obviously much worse then the possibility of a broken bone.

Thought I had the broken bone fear totally mended. Until today.

Today I aired up both tires on someone's last summer's bike ... Precisely 65psi in both ... and I went for a spin with V. It's hilly here. If I don't tap the brakes I might be able to transfer the acquired downhill speed to a bit of up hill ease (okay, I decided to stay away from an over the hill pun). I was laughing out loud while my ponytail whipped around. I was thinking ... "All this bike needs now is a little horn" ... Look out ... Mom whizzing by! Then I thought of something else. I thought of broken bones.

The possible downsides aren't going to win this time though.  The bike ride felt just a little bit like alive ... just a little shimmer of alive, but a place to start.   ... So worth it ... little tinymanageable  risk ... Lotsa air ... It's summertime! I'm gonna see if I can reach right up and touch the sky these next few months.

And when I'm not goofing off with V, I'm going to be working some cute shoes.

No comments: