The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Second look at "soulmate". I think maybe yes.

This morning at 4ish I was thinking a little about the idea of soulmate. Maybe, as it's defined in a previous post ... maybe I do sort of get it. My two really close girlfriends will call just when I am thinking of them ... great moments sometimes ... other times when I am down and troubled ... strangely enough,sometimes one or the other will call just when I am getting ready to do something stupid ... their presence has saved my skittles a few times! They both lend a helping hand with carrying my joys, my sorrows, and everything in between. I've met a maybe a couple of other people with whom some sort of bond is either quickly forged or a strong affinity immediately asserts.

Soul mate ... as the British or Australians use the word mate... I can go with soul mate in that context. It's the idea of a mated pair that can't function properly as stand alones that troubles me ... Like a pair of shoes ... or gloves ... incomplete unless mated. (fiddle diddle dumpling my son John went to school with one shoe on ... some old thing my Dad would say when he came upon a shoe that had wandered away from it's mate ... weird how those things pop into one's head ... thanks Dad ... for the contribution to my soul mate meanderings ...)

"Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to a new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same."
— Flavia Weedn

That is a precious sentiment and I appreciate the truth of the idea very much. I wish I were more able to accept the gift of people coming and going in my life. I am certainly comfortable with offering a small bit of myself to people  who I know are passing through ... maybe it's the idea of longterm relationships ... the idea that you'll always be friends with someone that messes with me.  I'm  committed when I agree to always! Always is one of those words ... .   What I'm saying is I enjoying offering a bit of myself to those around me ... it would be enriching to accept a bit from others. I have been too guarded in many ways ... and probably not guarded enough in others ... . And maybe too rigid with not just letting the footprints lead in to and out of my heart ... . I'm going to have to think about this idea some. The other day I noted a quote from Liz Gilbert about letting go of relationships that are ... completed. How are you supposed to know when a relationship is completed? I guess I am not great at valuing the truth that superficial relationships may be very valuable! ... not always though ... hmmm. I'm going to think about this off grid somewhere. Live and learn ... that's the plan. 

I'm going look at those important relationships in my life and do some serious thinking here. I think I may find a bit of dysfunction! H is encouraging me to get a book titled ... hmmm ... what was that title? I have forgotten now ... it's a book about how we tend to try to put other things and/or other people into that hole in our heart that only God can fill. Sure we do ... all kinds of things ... band-aids ... distractions, and not necessarily "bad" things ... .

Well ... for today ... a friend is thinking of buying an airplane that is based over near ALT ... I'm invited to go see, and that's what I'm mainly up to today. That and cleaning up the back yard!
I have been clipping my big dog ... last night there was a big black garden bag full of dog fur on top of a table on the back porch ... the draw strings were secured. This morning ... white dog fur is scattered  a  l  l  over the back yard, and that black bag is in ribbons. Sammybadboy had his way with that last night and this morning it looks like we have 101 little pups scattered here and there ... you wouldn't believe the mess! He was lying on a pile of it this morning and it looked like a whole 'nother big dog was snuggled up with him! Big dogs can make some incredibly big messes!

The bird nest condos in my rosevine are such a pleasure to see ... I think we have a new batch of eggs in one of them. 

No comments: