The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Friday, April 6, 2012

 Robin's egg shell on the side walk ... I love that color and that it occurs naturally rocks ... love seeing this and the petals
 Walked to the pottery studio ... trying to get that five miles in everyday.  Today I missed Sammy and I felt a little guilty about leaving him at home.  I snuck out.

Last night was the first class and I liked it a lot.   I like doing things with my hands ... and I like trying new things.  I knew I would like it.  So last night she taught us the basics of set up and get going.  Turns out that though I am a right handed person, I tend to wok at the wheel as a lefty.  I don't know if it was from watching her demonstrate right in front of me, or ... I do a lot of things with either hand.  I fly as well from either seat, my right index finger thinks she is the queen button pusher, but the others like to get their turns too ... .  Today I experimented with creating different height vessels ... this bowl was my favorite piece.  The other ... wait, I did like that one better ... I pulled it up too high for it to support itself and the edges folded down so lovely ... I smoothed it with a sponge and was very enthusiastic about it ... other thing was to be a candle holder.  I had all three wrapped in plastic and in my cubby when I realized that my wedding band was nowhere to be found!  I had to collapse all three pieces as I searched for it ... yes, it was hiding in the clay!  So ... lots of fun today, but no "first" thrown piece to show for it.  Oh well.  The classes are on Thursday nights, but we can use the studio anytime a class isn't working.  I'll try to make time to get back in there early on Monday.  My objective with this is to create several pieces for hanging together in our dining room ... and hopefully a couple of pieces like those I took a picture of a few weeks ago.  And ... a pencil cup for each of the kids ... and some clay stamped pieces to use as name tags on Christmas packages ... Thinking of wrapping gifts in brown craft paper with raffia and a super cool glazed identifier.

It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird:
 it would be a jolly sight harder for it to
 learn to fly while remaining an egg. 
We are like eggs at present. 
And you cannot go on indefinitely being
 just an ordinary, decent egg. 
We must be hatched or go bad. 

~ C.S Lewis


Walking back afterwards I past this glass in a local church ... said hello to an acquaintance and that I admire the stain glass so much (actually my favorite in town, but I didn't say that).  She invited me in to the building and I have to say ... these are even more spectacular from indoors.  The artist, Deborah Strawn, is a Southern artist.  I have seen many of her pieces and ... they all rock.  Wishing I had a place in my home for a wonderful piece of stain glass.  The lady at the church said why not hang in right in to our front door.  I think that might be a little too "arty" for both my husband and our neighborhood, but ... maybe the back door.  They are both nine pane windowed doors.  I'm going to be thinking about this ... as much as I enjoy seeing the light dancing through colored glass ... hmmm ... maybe.

... Books to finish moving this weekend ... that'll put the den in good order ... the paint looks beautiful ... I'm very happy with the outcome there ... by Sunday afternoon I bet I'll be reading Mountains.

Easter Sunday ... looking forward to that.  I'm thinking Ham for lunch ... and deviled eggs ... and I don't know what else yet ... thinking about it.  I love mashed sweet potatoes with ginger ... but I think I am the only one who does!

No comments: