The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Greed


Butterfly wing ~ idk who took the photo, I found it on line
Why here?
When I was very young, three or maybe four, my older brother told me
to never ever touch a butterfly's wing.  He said that butterflies have
 magic on their wings and that is why they are able to fly.
 If I touch their magic will I be able to fly?  I whispered my question.
Serious discussions such as this were conducted quietly.
I have always remembered his answer.
No.
He was certain.
Touching their wings takes away their magic, but the magic just disappears.
And the butterfly dies.
We have to find our own magic if we want to fly.
(
true story... I miss him very much)




Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction. ~Erich Fromm


I was thinking that greed is almost systemic in our culture.  We have little need to want for essentials ... and there is so much bounty in clean air, easily accessible clean water ... variety in food.  It's so easy to take it for granted that being thankful is not quite that heartfelt.  I heard an example which I'll remember here ... 

I give my neighbor a dollar and he is maybe surprised ... embarrassed ... maybe he is pleased.  He thanks me.  Next day I give him a dollar ... and this goes on for a while.  My gift becomes part of our routine up til the day that I don't show up with the dollar ... eventually the neighbor asks me where his money is ... I have missed several days.  

Whoever told the story did a lot better job of it then I just did, but ... the point is I receive gifts routinely ... it is easy to begin to feel entitled rather where I might do better to feel grateful.  And I'm not trying to feel guilty here for all the really good stuff, just noticing that in many areas I am unselfconsciously "entitled" and in fact ... I want ... more. "This plus", "That and" ... . 

As I drove home from the local grocery store I was thinking about greed.  There is a lot of food housed there.  Lots of variety.  The cilantro was what I went in for and ... well, we really needed it to make lunch just right.  No big deal.  

This is how that went ... I woke up this morning and in right after saying good-morning to my husband I asked him what he wanted for breakfast.  Pancakes are his favorite ... usually.  I like to get him to thinking about what he would like for me to prepare for him because I think it helps start his day out nicely.  I think it makes him smile while he is shaving ... I know I love to smell my coffee.  Breakfast ... not so much but coffee, definitely ... I have the luxury of deferring meals because food is readily available.  I have the luxury of encouraging my husband to flip through a wide range of menu possibilities ... the ingredients are ready and waiting.  He chose French Toast.  The only thing worse for him then pancakes ... . I worry about that rather then where the next meal is coming from.

I was thinking about how I have always asked my children, not is that enough? but ... would you like more? ... more, please ... . 

Heck yeah we want more ... we all want more.  I think this is greed.  I think I have subtly been teaching ... nurturing ... greed.  You know ... everyone works hard at their jobs around here.  We make choices that put choices in the pantry and refrigerator.  There is no shame in that. And ... 

I was thinking about how on Sundays I like to serve dessert, it makes the meal seem even more like an occasion.  Hmmm, what should I make this week ... the bananas are ripening.  No one has wanted cereal this week.  Three loves banana pudding ... and Five adores whip cream on anything.  

I can hear them ... "Would you pass the potatoes (hopefully) please ... Mom, what's for dessert?"

I didn't realize ... .  We know we are fortunate. We know we got a head start in good fortune and we try to value that good fortune. We know that good fortune is partly a by-product of work and we are thankful for the work done for us and the ability to work.  Thinking about greed is overdue though.  Mindless consumption might be the same thing as greed.  I am thinking about it.

I know it takes a lot of time to acquire and maintain "more".  I can see greed shaping lives that might have been better spent.  Not just greed for money or power ... just greed ... an insatiable drive for more.  It positions one to keep reaching, pushing, grasping ..."inging".  It's a high price to pay for something that won't satisfy.

The curse of the romantic is a greed for dreams, an intensity of expectation that, in the end, diminishes the reality. ~ Marya Mannes

“He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have.”
~ Socrates

“So the unwanting soul
sees what's hidden,
and the ever-wanting soul
sees only what it wants.”
 ~ Lao Tzu

Greed is what ... ? heedless self-interest?  (Roosevelt)

“That same night, I wrote my first short story. It took me thirty minutes. It was a dark little tale about a man who found a magic cup and learned that if he wept into the cup, his tears turned into pearls. But even though he had always been poor, he was a happy man and rarely shed a tear. So he found ways to make himself sad so that his tears could make him rich. As the pearls piled up, so did his greed grow. The story ended with the man sitting on a mountain of pearls, knife in hand, weeping helplessly into the cup with his beloved wife's slain body in his arms.”  ~ Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner


Greed: n. excessive or rapacious desire, especially for wealth or possessions. whose opposite is generosity.

There is a very fine line between loving life and being greedy for it.” ~ Maya Angelou


butterfly black white and shades of grey
image found on Pinterest  ~ idk


No comments: