The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Last night I drank two martinis ... okay, and a sip from my husband's glass too ... had to make certain it was properly shaken. Vodka,vermouth ... lots of olive brine.  There is something about martinis ... one practically demands a second.  After dinner we went for a walk.  I want my husband to walk everyday, but he doesn't ... Sammy went along too. All in all I made 17,211 steps yesterday ... 7,000 over. Did not sleep well at all ... and that is this note ... maybe it was the foreign libation ... I do better when I just stick to ice water!
I met a welder yesterday.  Saw ... well heard really, his torch as I walked to the pottery studio.  Decided to backtrack and see if he accepts little jobs.  I would like to have a coffee table, similar to those I admire from Restoration hardware, welded up ... I have boards which came from my own backyard.  Had a plan for them, now I'm thinking coffee table.  Something like this ...  Building the frame would be very easy for a welder.


My buddy girl from home is all about me writing a book. I'm thinking about it ... was thinking about it before she got me to thinking about it in a more focused sort of way.  She is a best friend ... man, what a treasure friends are.  We "go about life" very differently I think.  She is less reserved as is H also.  I say I'm thinking about it and she says ... just start doing it, it will write itself.  Hmmm.  Maybe.  I tell her that I don't like the idea of telling a story, because it exposes parts of the writer that I do not want to share.  She says I will be able to tell my stories without hurting my heart ... she says I can do it.  Maybe.  I walk way over there and center a lump of clay on the wheel and it does sort of become what it wants to be.  My hands guide it, my hands "fit" there, but it doesn't seem so very personal.  The teacher said potters tend to thrown the same shapes over and over again.  That makes sense to me because the body directs the mud to become.  My friend says she thinks stories are similar ... directed, but not necessarily so very personal.  Well ... as I walk, I think about the story and the characters who might help tell the story.  And I think about the people who I have particularly liked having help me form my story.  Isn't it neat that some of them are people one may actually know ... know somewhat, even my intimates know only what I have shown them about myself ... and some of it, I am still learning.  I like that we can chose who we let help shape us ... who and what ... some are by choice, some by circumstance ... well ... walking time.  

I purchased Mountains Beyond Mountains on audio ... iTunes ... but it doesn't just load with the sync.  I'm going to have to make time to figure all that out.  For now though, I will just walk ... and let my mind wander.

2 comments:

Dean said...

I like the table idea. I love working with wood and I think it makes the best furniture.Simple but elegant. Something amazing about the grains and colors that make it beautiful. I would buy and read your book. Awesome idea! Have a great day! Dean

DeAnn said...

Thanks for the kind words Dean.