The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Envy

(idk ... Pinterest)






“Envy consists in seeing things never in themselves, but only in their relations. If you desire glory, you may envy Napoleon, but Napoleon envied Caesar, Caesar envied Alexander, and Alexander, I daresay, envied Hercules, who never existed." ~ Bertrand Russell


Wow.



A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones.  ~ Proverbs 14:30

Wow again.

"Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.  He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind." Buddha

"Love looks through a telescope, envy, through a microscope." ~ Josh Billings

ENVY  n. - painful or resentful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another joined with a desire to possess the same advantage.  

Some other definition included covetousness.  Yes ... I think that must be part of it.

Just last week I said of a friend's flight ... "I envy you ... "  That is not at all what I meant, and I doubt it was heard with the connotations seen here in Mr. Webster's definition.  I was happy for my friend ... yes I would like to see the sights from up high, but ... what I should have said, what I truly meant was ... "I am happy for you ... super cool flight!"

I have tasted envy.  It tastes like that acidic stuff that finds a way up from one's stomach when there is nothing left to throw up, but still you heave ... it tastes like bile.  Hmmm ... I am sure of this, but I have never wondered if these other vices "taste".  Envy does.  Envy wants to squeeze not just the gut, but tears of self-pity from one's blurry eyes ... Vice ... yes exactly like a vice grip ... this vice squeezes. Maybe envy is what causes the soul to vomit ...  I'm thinking like this because I have recently felt this.  Maybe these other vices are more routine for me ... envy is visceral (maybe the other vices are wrapped in callouses and I don't "feel" them so clearly ... idk ... I'm going to pay better attention though).  
Envy ... I saw something and began to want it ... not exactly "that it", but "my it ... like that" ... why do others enjoy something like that while I am over here doing the best I can with "this"  ... I want "that".  I thought this was going to be that ... how did this happen?  Maybe I am describing lust, but ... well ... I saw myself turn a mournful eye towards God ... I don't think it was lust.  Not much like lust.  "How did I end up with this when I wanted ... maybe even deserved ... certainly would be very thankful for and take excellent care of ... something like that."  The feeling of wanting that ... it made me feel really bad.  I was thinking about it with my feet up on the glass watching airplanes at ATL.  I thought ... God ... I only wanted a tiny taste of that ... but we both know I wanted more.  
See, that specific day was for me a really good day.  The location for watching those magnificent airplanes could not have been better ... and honestly, the yucky weather made it even more interesting.  I scooped up an enroute flight from ANC D-> ATL ... had it updating on flight aware ... I enjoyed that ... kinda goofy, but ... well, you make your fun where you want to I guess.  Everything about watching was perfect ... I was watching without a twinge of wanting ... I've never wanted to be an airline pilot.  They are rockstars ... for sure ... I am an educated viewer of their gig, I enjoy singing along  ... my thing is a bit different.  Well ... all of a sudden I was aware that I was sitting ... super cozy ... in an easy chair in a lovely hotel room ... and rather then just enjoying my wonderful circumstances, I was swamped by what was missing.  I was swamped by wanting "that" and the unfairness ... the inequity  ... the ... what?  I'm just trying to find the true words of it.  I recognize the envy part of it ... no malice,  just want ... and the shame of wanting not this and the shame of wanting that.  It is a looking at things with a microscope rather then a telescope.  It is small ... selfish thinking.  
Envy is a bit of a thief ... and a short sighted one at that.  Envy steals the joy from what is present ... it spreads blame over the past and beakness over the future.  Envy sucks.

I'm sitting here thinking about all the beautiful images I've seen lately because of micro-photography.  Sand ... sand is good.  It's also beautiful under a microscope.  Sand ... at the beach.  I love to rub my feet back and forth in it.  I love to walk along the shore of it ... stepping farther and farther out in to the deep ... as long as my feet feel sand, I feel safe.  And later ... rinsing it off ... don't want sand inside the house ... in the pipes.  Sand is cool at a micro-view, but what is most important about sand is enjoyed as a beach sized view.  

No comments: