The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Back porch

Any day that begins with bacon, hash browns (uh huh ... fried in bacon grease with onions and jalepeƱos) and two perfect over easy eggs ... Well, it's hard work to mess up a day like that! I took it easy today!

It was a two cups of coffee morning, and I'm sorta thinking about brewing a fresh pot right now ... it's too late in the day, but apparently I like to tease myself. I'll have to settle for some herbal tea ... Which I like (but don't love like I love my coffee).

Today all three of my daughter, not all at once though, helped me on our back porch project. We are painting the ceiling Martha Stewart's Heavenly Blue. It is at least a very polite shade of blue ... light. I have an antique metal top table with a wooden base on the porch too ... I'm going to paint the base a cornflower blue and the top what they are calling hammered grey ... Maybe it is textured ... spray paint. In the backyard I favor blue flowers - blue towards purple. Nothing is blooming right now, but the bulbs will be popping through pretty soon. I can't believe I have never thought to paint anything blue out there. Such an easy way to introduce a break in all that green. I haven't purchased the brick for the fire pit. Husband says I have to speak with the firemarshall first. I say what I do in my own backyard is my own business, but he is adamant ... Proper distance from the structures, flying ciders, liability ... He actually used the term criminal liability ... Yeah. You know, people have these little fire bowls and fire boxes ... people grill out. I had already planned to position it near a water spigot. I just want a way to burn some leaves ... lots and lots of leaves. I am soooo glad we don't have a swimming pool full of leaves. Oops ... Off track. Yes ... It was fun to paint with my daughters today. Every southern porch ceiling wants to be a heavenly shade of blue ... Spiders do not web on blue. That's supposedly a well known fact. I am also replacing the two overhead light fixtures on the porch ... probably will do that tomorrow. Sammy's kettle on the back porch ... it is the size of a washing machine and dryer ... really. He had to sit tight most of the afternoon while we painted. He was quite mournful, unenthusiastic about the color change overhead. I usually touch up the yard furniture every spring, but it's been awhile since I did anything on the back porch other then refill Sammy's bowls.
Fun. It was a fun day.

No comments: