The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Huevos Rancheros and Migas ... Breakfast recipes

One seems to be missing home-cooking. I'm thinking about recording some recipes here and if I have enough setting up a page for them later. I don't think of myself as an amazing cook ... rather as someone who likes to cook. I started cooking during the college years. My college diet consisted heavily of coffee, Coke, yogurt, and cigarettes. I still love coffee and yogurt. Occasionally I would cook gravy.

Gravy for biscuits:
Pan drippings from bacon to brown flour. I do not know the measurements ... The mixture should be almost crumbly ... Not fluid, but almost. Stir to brown and add milk slowly til you get the gravy consistency you want. It will re-thicken, so expect to add a bit more milk as you warm it. ... Keep stirring the entire time. I use a black cast iron skillet for this ... Heavy is better here (I don't know why). Btw ... This is not a healthy choice.

This is basically the recipe for white sauce too. Substitute butter for the drippings. White sauce can be seasoned all kinds of ways ... Basic ingredients are butter, flour, milk (sometimes I use a chicken stock instead ... Sometimes I add a bouillon cube to the milk version ... Basic sauce so go crazy with it ... Ummm, cheese melts well in this)

Migas:
Corn tortilla cut to strips or bite size bits and fried in corn oil. Pour whisked eggs on top and continue to cook til eggs are done (keep stirring and flipping) I like ratio of 1.5 tortillas to 1 egg. It's good with anything. I like bacon and jalepeƱos chopped up and added just before it's served ... cheese ... salsa. When I ordered this recently (in Austin) it was served with refried beans. Black beans would almost scoot this dish to the healthy bracket. Almost.

Huevos Rancheros
Look up Emeril's recipe ... That's the one!

No comments: