The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

500 OVC all around here ... I cancelled my flight this morning, it was to be a rental checkout and stalls and slow flight in IFR is just not the thing ... plus it is raining ... I hate it when the bottoms of my pants are wet.

Yesterday I was thinking that I had really believed that I would be giving rental check outs to people rather then needing one ... it's good that life isn't so predictable, that would get very tedious. On the other hand, the most important things in my life are very consistent. And that makes it possible for anyone of the people in my family to take a risk on a dream. On a rainy day like today it is tempting to entertain the whiner within.





Someone pinged me inviting herself and her pre-schooler over. I thought to decline ... this is shaking out to be a day to catch up on ironning and slow cook something delicious on the stove top ... a quiet day with Enya singing in the background. Then I remembered how it feels to be a young woman who has recently given up a career in favor of child rearing. Suddenly you have to figure out how to make a home on half the income that you've grown accustomed to, you smell like baby goop, and your husband is really counting on a hot meal to be followed by other hotness. I encouraged her to not totally give up her day job, but a lot of families think mom at home is the best of all worlds. She'll come over.

One of my older neighbors is having a recurrence of cancer. I was able to spend a lot of time driving her back and forth to chemo last time, but this time I wish another neighbor might step up. She has been showing up at the front door sad and afraid ... needing a hug and a cup of tea at least.

I am feeling a bit swamped just now with my own five children. It's funny that a woman who was raised with boys and seems to shy away from feminine company is the mother of three girls. A missing sweater is a very noisy event in my house ... no, a different one will not do, she was planning on that particular one and now one of those stinkers is wearing it instead ... big deal. Oh, it is. I just don't get it. I wear a black tee shirt and jeans or khakis ... this pair of black shoes or that pair. Now that I am not in the airplane everyday I spritz on a fragrance ... with almost no thought as to which one.

Four has just pinged me that Two called her a bad name because she is mad still about the sweater. Two left the house this morning in Four's newest shirt ... it is a complicated dance that I do not understand. I think it is a symptom of affluenza.

I am going to start that meal and my ironing and we'll just see how the day gets better.

No comments: