The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Saturday, January 8, 2011



Well I found out this morning that something important is missing from Mr. Webster's definition of "fun". My brother and sister-in-law (I would really like a more friendly term for sister-in-law ... it sounds a little cold and legalistic ... something like the sister my brother chose for me, but just wrapped in to one word would be better) treated me to a typical Saturday morning in their life. We drove to the small town nearby where their grandchildren are growing up and watched them play basketball. The boys were really proud of being members of the black team ... one of several coed teams comprised of 4, 5 and 6 year old athletes. It's a town of about 1200 where the school is K through 12 ... never seen that before! The movie True Grit was recently filmed there. It's a place where the men might wear Western style belt with their name worked in to the leather ... but they sure don't need to because everybody seems to be on a first name basis with everyone else. The gym was perfect with it's old oak floor gleaming and a vaulted roof lite up with those high voltage lights. It's the kind of place where everyone shows up to watch the big Saturday morning game. I love basketball ... and I loved the fun of holding little sister while the boys ran back and forth on the court. The refs were easy on the whistle and there was a lot of joy bouncing around the room.

It was a fun morning.



Later we drove in to Austin, Texas for a quick look around at the campus and just to get a feel for the city. Austin hasn't changed at all as far as I could see ... yes, more buildings, but it is still the granola and earth shoes capital of Texas. I like Austin, but it is not my favorite big town in Texas.



Tomorrow morning we will depart for New Orleans via College Station. It will be a long drive. And probably fun. I am just saying that ... the truth is, it will be a long drive. I haven't mapped it out yet because I would prefer not to add a stop in New Orleans to the trip back home, but my travel buddies haven't seen enough of The Big Easy ... they think authentic French donuts are worth the extra effort. I tell them those can be found only in France, but they do not believe me. I have also been putting off looking at the weather ... but I can feel it brewing up something possibly epic. I will look at it just a bit later. I really can't wait to get home and post a few pictures with these last few entries ... I know y'all think I am exaggerating (a characteristic frequently attributed to the citizens of this great state) about the amazing sunsets over here ... but I don't think I am. You can be the judge of that!

No comments: