The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Friday, January 14, 2011

Stinky and me probably from 1963




This picture seems so sweet to me. I loved that dog ... . I remember that the photo was not taken by my momma, and I remember that I was worried a little about having my picture taken because I had already let my hair down out of the braids my mom had sent me out of the house in ... how 'bout those starched play clothes and little hard soled shoes. Kids now days have it made in their Teva's and Sofie shorts. My mom is appalled by how they dress! I can see the tension in my hand in this photo, and see that tightening in all the posed shots from my childhood. We ran as wild and wide open as we could but we sure understood there would be consequences if we were found out ... those were the days when any body's mother could scold you, and if she did you could count on trouble as soon as you arrived back home ... those moms stuck together! On this particular day all the bigger kids were at school and I had been swinging as high as I could on someone else's swing set. That line in the dirt behind me is most likely the trench I made as I hit the ground and slide to a stop. I did that all the time ... I loved to swing as high as possible then jump out at the top of the arc. I see that little scraped up knee ... usual for me. My mother would doctor it up with "monkey blood"* as soon as she saw it ...
* merbromin (murbrō´min),
n a mercury-bromine compound used as a germicide for disinfection of the skin, mucous membrane, and wounds. Used in 10% alcoholic
solution (Scott-Wilson reagent) in the treatment of moniliasis.


... I had totally forgotten about that stuff! My mom would spray it on the back of our throats as a remedy for your basic sore throat. It tasted horrible ... I remember. I'm laughing. Those fifties moms were pretty tough ole girls ... in their Jackie O pill box hats and gloves ... how did society get from there to here?

My husband is out doing some consulting gigs ... away from home this week, so I have gotten everyone up and out on my own these past few days. Everyone sets their own alarm and knows the drill so, no big deal ... then I go work out for a while and run errands with the hair at the base of my neck still moist, workout clothes not those cute sets ... no make up or hair obviously ... I have never ever ever seen my mom with out full makeup on. Daddy used to deliver her morning coffee to her and we didn't see her 'til she was presentable. I have an old pair of little white gloves in my top drawer to remember those days by ... I can see from the glimmer in my eye here that I made the most of those childhood days.


No comments: