The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Monday, January 3, 2011

My daughter is going through my old photos and getting them ready to scan into the computer. She has shown me several stacks of them today, and it's been great seeing them. I don't feel sad about this, but the photos reminded me of how much fun everyday things can be. I've gotten more serious then I need to be. Maybe that is a life with alot of responsibilities in it, but this year I am going to start thinking about ways to put a little more fun in to the day. I think I may have the ponytail just a little bit too tight. This year I am going to make every effort to have "more fun", and create more fun for my loves.
Flying, for me, is some serious fun ... and that would be the fun I would choose if I could choose just one. But - that's not the case. I'm not having or bringing as much fun as I can.

Fun=–noun
1. something that provides mirth or amusement: A picnic would be fun.
2. enjoyment or playfulness: She's full of fun.

Playfulness ... I've forgotten how to do that, but I am going to make an effort to remember.

"....maybe fear is God's way of saying, "Pay attention, this could be fun."
— Craig Ferguson (American on Purpose)
I like that quote ... and I think it's good to have fun.


Also, I have noticed that I want to be a little more specific about what I like.
That may sound a little odd. What I'm saying is this: we all know specific things that we do not like. We react strongly, moving away from what we don't like. There is a finality to what we don't like. I don't wonder "What could I do to make that something likeable?" I don't expect to like everything. This is what I want to do ... I want to feel as strongly about what I do like as I do about what I do not like. I want to love a few things ... I want to run wide open towards those things ... there are a few things that really should get the full on embrace. I don't mind the "this could be improved by that" approach to a lot of things, but this year I want to acknowledge a few things that are IT and go there ... often.

This is a little silly example, but, I liked the fabric I bought for my kitchen windows. I really really liked it ... it wasn't just good enough for now, pretty good ... it is exactly great. I want to put the time or effort ... what every that is to put more exactly great in my life and in to the lives that live within hugging distances.

There is a picture of a little girl on a kodak slide. Tomorrow, I am going to take it to the camera guys and get it turned into a picture which I will try to put with this post. It totally cracks me up ... I was sitting in the dirt with some very spiffy (starched) play clothes on ... my hair was untidy and I am snuggled up to my dog. The dog's name was "Stinky". Stinky was a stinky little dog ... what a great dog she was ... awesome enough to make the stink okay. Who names their dog "Stinky"? Who stands out on the front porch and whistles and calls out "H e r e Stinky"?
Some one with a huge grin on her face ... that's who. I want to remember that girl.

No comments: