The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Today I ordered three new books from Amazon.  I am excited about that ... obviously, as I am noting it here.  I know the truck will stop for me this week ... that is a simple pleasure, and it makes me smile.  I am reading two books right now ... Galileo's Daughter - Dava Sobel (beautifully written tale - Recounted with grace and power - So says TIME and I enthusiastically agree.) and The City & The City - China Mieville (says Publishers Weekly; skillfully examines the illusions people embrace to preserve their preferred social realities... recommended by One, I know I will be quizzed on it - ) ... both new to me.  I am re-reading Canterbury Tales for Two, and making notes in the margin for myself - that is how I read books now ... I have a method ... I had forgotten how satisfying some of Chaucer's phrases are, and for this reading, I wish I could read the language it was originally written in ... I am certain that thought never crossed my mind on the first reading ... sure I was looking for the A ... this time, I was most of my leisurely way through when I thought to ask "What is the assignment for this?"  Two replied, "We are expected to read it before we know what the assignment is."  What?!?!  Today was a perfect day for reading ... raining and rumbling ... hot tea and cookies prepared from scratch by V.  Bliss.  Two made cupcakes.  I wandered in in time to participate.  These girls with their fancy decorating ideas ... so much fun.  They are teaching me how to create edible flowers ... and how to work those piping bags.  I was called upon to develop just the right color for the butter cream frosting ... icing? ... idk.  The flower picture shows my very own first attempt at this ... so much more gratifying then play-doh!  The amazing set of six are the work of Two.  She totally rocks this sort of thing ... beautiful and delicious.

I am excited about working with the new box of soft pastels - a new medium for me.   New art supplies delight me ... what will they become ... the process is so captivating ... a box of colored clay will try to express  ... something.  I think it will be that picture of a kid with a superman cape floating out behind him as he runs along the water's edge ... I saw something like that on a book ... I remembered my little brother just like that.  I hope my hands can find a way to unfold that memory.

One of those books is an Audubon field guide ... creatures of the North American Shoreline ... something like that.  I love those Audubon field guides ... .

1 comment:

neffbot said...

I *really* enjoyed The City and The City! I hope you like it too!