The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Wednesday, May 30, 2012





‘A good traveller has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.’ ~ Lao Tzu

 It is very strange for me to not have some objective ... A desired outcome ... A goal or target ... In mind.  I can think of a few somewhat significant relationships which are so fluid that I have no expectations. I can't think of any thing I actually do, rather then the minor activity that supports the whimsy of those sorta friendships, where I don't have some sense of where things are going ... I have x number of doors, y of which are already painted ... These are the elements on the completion checklist, these ... outstanding. I'm starting to think about that. I'm starting to pay attention to where the joy is in a moment. I'm laughing at myself a bit here ... even my rose vine is supported by invisible lines.  The birds come and go from the nests found there, but the vine is trained along specific lines.

This will sound weird probably, but ... Yesterday I went with Four for a pedicure. I can remember having a professional pedicure three times in my life. It sorta creeps me out to have someone scraping dead skin from the soles of my feet ... A stranger trimming, filing, painting my toenails. I don't particularly like the process, but ... this morning I woke up with pretty radiating from my feet. Today I felt pretty, really, it's a feeling, and it started at my feet  ... which is quite rare for me. It was a nice feeling. Why does that matter ... I wonder. And why does bronze nail polish and perfectly squared nails matter at all?
 The quote at the top ... .  I went with my daughter because she asked me to. I planned to guide her through the process. I wanted to help her see how to do that salon thing. Maybe she is that kinda girl, whatever that means. What happened was I found a bit of joy there ... later. My feet are telling me something that makes me smile. I told my daughter that in a few years,when all of them are out of the house, I think I will make the trip to the pedicure salon every Friday. Just because ... Waking up with pretty feet was ... super sweet.   Now, I understand the whole purple hair salon ritual ... I may totally get it.

I guess that's what I am thinking about now ... lately.  I don't have any plans at all.  Well ... I have calendar items,  I have chores,  I have projects, but I don't have really anything going on.  Some of the stuff I have read over the years ... Zen stuff probably ... encourages us to do what we are passionate about.  It seems like the places that light me up are some distance from where my life is supposed to be lived at.  I'm not saying that in a sad or martyr or whatever the word is way.  Simply making an observation.  I think there is enough joy for the day close at hand ... which would be missed were I to follow my passions.  People do what they are supposed to do and look for the joy along that way ... like these little bronze colored toenails.  I walk with sparkly feet.  And if I could see it, the ground is covered by microscopic miracles, like those photos of sand, no telling what. No telling what today might see.

2 comments:

Dean said...

Good quote at the top,I have a notebook I put all the good quotes I find, in this case you find. I guess I wouldn't make a very good traveller! I always feel like I need to be doing something or getting somewhere. LOL! Reminds me of another quote about peace. "Peace does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work, it means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart" I'm a long way from there but I think you are there!

DeAnn said...

Yeah, I've been collecting quotes for a long time now ... I like to find them on bookmarks when I pick up books I've read. I guess they are a sort of a crumb trail back to where I was ... sometimes I like the idea seeded in a quote. I like that a string of words may be woven in to so many different thoughts.

As for the doing something or getting somewhere ... I'm working that out I guess. Previous choices encourage me to chill ... I seem to "kick" against that less then I have. You know how it is when you have people who are more important to you then your own meanderings. I am really trying to appreciate all the good stuff close by ... in the moment. To care and not care ... .
Thanks for the note.