The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

sanding complete ... well, almost!

A human being fashions his consequences as surely as he fashions his goods or his dwelling. Nothing that he says, thinks or does is without consequences. ~ Norman Cousins
Woke up this morning with a stuffy nose and a wee headache ... and very very happy.  All the overhead sanding is mission accomplished (duh duh dahdah ).  Heck yeah!  One thing that I both appreciate and in turn am frustrated to the point of numbness by is my husband's "critical" eye.  As I was sanding yesterday I was thinking I sure do hope none of this requires another layer of compound ... 'cause it is such a bite to finish.  Two came in to check on me and brought back her lab goggles ... huge help!  This morning it seems like every time I blow my nose another panel of sheet rook pops out.  Yes, indelicate.  I do know.  My husband said it looks good, translated to my parlance ... I totally rocked the ceiling ... we can practically dance on it! 


Last night, at quitting time, I cleaned my tools and swept up sheet rock dust, limiting visibility in the living room to below minimums.  This morning the dust has settled and I am "fixin" to mop and then cover the floor ... and paint!  I can't wait to see the new paint up.  I am kinda tickled that I am so excited about ceiling paint ... it's funny and sweet ... possibly pathetic, but I don't think so.
I mentioned to my husband that we might want to refinish the wood floors in there while it's an empty room.  The wood floor guy is a long time friend.  I know he will give me the recipe for the varnish.  He laid this floor for us almost twenty years ago and has been back to refinish it once.  It doesn't need sanding ... just a coat of poly urethane I think.  I see him at church every week.  He'll tell me what to get.  Last time he was here his crew painted the floor with a mop.  Seriously.
Husband said, "Whatever you think."  I didn't know that I have a whateveryouthink switch.  That red switch over there, the whateveryouthink switch, we didn't know what it was for ... well, now we do ... it lights me up!

Later that day ...

One entire strip of tape had bubbles in it ... could see them as soon as the paint went on ... bummer

... so ... I pulled it down and re sanded the bed and put it back up ... some of the other seams were not "enviable" either ... they actually kinda sucked.  I was too stingy ... the Tex-Mex word pinche is precisely accurate here ...
adjective
2.
damn (informal) (Mexican Spanish)bloody (British)
adjetivo

1(México) (maldito) bloody (muy_familiar); lousy (muy_familiar)
todo por unos pinches centavos all for a few measly cents
2(Centroamérica) (México) (miserable) wretched
3(Centroamérica) (tacaño) stingy; tight-fisted

1[de cocina] kitchen hand; kitchen-boy
2(S. Cone) (oficinista) minor office clerk; (criminal) small-time criminal
3(Caribe) (México) (granuja) rascal
1(And) (jamelgo) nag

See that's what I'm talking about ... nuance ... a language with texture ... 

So ... mas mud.  Over the areas where I could see the tape I applied another coat of mud.  I would really like to sand it tonight before I go to bed ... hope it is dry.  It would be so excellent to finish painting the ceiling tomorrow.  Fresh paint looks so nice.  Still tentative about the dark wall paint ... we shall see.  I'm actually very interested in what we think of it.  
And ... I have decided to do a horizontal tone on tone wide stripe in the foyer using this ceiling paint, which is a matte finish, and the exact color in an satin finish.  It will be very subtle.  
Not a huge fan of actually painting ... I'm having a minor allergic reaction to paint ... it makes my tongue have little red dots that hurt ... and also bothers my sinuses.  The house is well ventilated, but I think over the years maybe I've just built up to a reaction.  Not enough of a problem to keep me from doing it. Anyway, I'm pretty close to having every paintable surface in the house redone.  

No comments: