The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Monday, May 21, 2012

"When love awakens in your life, in the night of your heart, it is like the dawn breaking within you. Where before there was anonymity, now there is intimacy; where before there was fear, now there is courage; where before in your life there was awkwardness, now there is a rhythm of grace and gracefulness; where before you used to be jagged, now you are elegant and in rhythm with your self. When love awakens in your life, it is like a rebirth, a new beginning." ~ John O'Donohue

 As I putz around updating some of the electrical outlets and have time to think about that love stuff ... I hate to admit that part of the problem with love for me is ... I don't like how it commits me. I don't like how it makes me vulnerable. I don't like to ... trust ... I don't seem to want to risk someone else's stuff ... Their intentions, motives. What I think I usually see is ... people default to their own interests. They juggle and balance their own interests without very much thought to how it affects others. People expect each other to look out for themselves. So for me it is about fear which is a trust thing. And ... The thing is, love is very complicated. It's like a maze ... You really don't know what you're "getting" in to. I am thinking of people I both love a trust ... Not very many. I think I trust their intentions ... best intentions which are unselfish ... there is no agenda. I really do think Paul Newman's letter does a fair job of expressing ... mutuality in a romantic relationship, but loving intentions are not unique to a marriage.  We get lots of different places to practice love.

No comments: