The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Friday, May 4, 2012


I am dipping in to my emergency supply of coffee ... Cafe Du Monde coffee ... I love it, but it leaves a coat of something on my teeth ... I am distracted from the early morning shot of joy by that observation and it's buddy "what else is it coating" ... pepto cafe.  Those Cajuns know tasty.

It is raining here ... so no walking this week and I have missed it.  I have also not been to the pottery studio except for last night's class.  We learned how to glaze and also how to operate the slab roller.  The "paint" is in large buckets and we mix it with a concrete stirrer attached to a hand drill.  Then ... it is cleaned by dipping it and pulling the trigger in a deep bucket of water right next to the glaze storage shelves ... electricity and water ... the cord dangles right over the bucket.  Have to say it caught my eye.
So ... now I have several pieces glazed and ready to go on another trip through the fire.  The glazes have really funny names.  I had trouble holding the name in my head while I searched for the bucket ... one of my choices may have been named twilight tornado ... they were teasing me because I kept on mumbling names of seventy rock bands and titles of old hippie music ... . Which reminds me, Kate Campbell ... in an intimate theater setting this week, her "concert" was a chat and sing thing which was kinda perfect.  I'm not from around here and had never heard of her, but thoroughly enjoyed her music and her sensibility.

I Will Be Your Rest  may have been my favorite from those she shared.  I'll make a try at the lyrics:

When you have fought every good fight
tried with all your strength and might
but can not lift your sword
and that dragons at your door...

When the tempests toss you from side to side
you can not find a place to hide
listen for my voice
in the middle of the storm ...

I will be your rest
I will calm your fears
I will be your peace
I will dry your tears

I will be your song
when you can not sing
I will be your breathe
I will be your rest ...


I don't early know how to describe her sound ... closest i could find would be a sort of a woman Southern Man, Neil Young sorta vibe.  She is genius on the piano ... that's my opinion, my husband said he liked her guitar tunes best.  I don't know if she was here visiting friends or making new ones ... just glad I got to hear her.



I have noticed just here lately that I am starting to recognize that I am "old".  It kinda amuses me.  I look at those recent pictures ... definitely old looking ... we go to Starbucks and all I want is "my" coffee ... none of that weird fluffy stuff ... my right hand aches a bit and I wonder if that is the beginning of arthritis  ... spell check made that right for me, but I better start getting familiar with those words ... . I just feel differently lately ... like in my soul ... stuff just doesn't really matter very much like I know it did a year ago.  I feel myself shrug ... whatever ... .  As I sit here thinking I see that I don't have any lists ... I have been a big list maker in the past ... the what I am going to do today kinda list ... I guess I have coffee on a shopping list, but ... not written down anywhere.  Nothing is important enough to write down.  I am in a maybe I will or maybe I won't kinda mode.  It's easy for me to remember last April and May ... now here we are a year later ... it seems like a different life rather then just a different year.
So ... I heard her singing those words ... when the tempests toss you from side to side and you can not find a place to hide ... listen for my voice ... in the middle of the storm ... .  The thousand pound machine touched me softly, like piano music always does do ... and these words made my heart leak ... old.  Old like the faucet in my bathroom that needs to be turned off just so ... or it will leak.  Old.  Leak creak weak ... bleak?   Lotsa eak/eek words.  You know what?  Seriously ... old doesn't bother me at all ... it comes with tired ...

I will be your song
when you can not sing
I will be your breathe 
I will be your rest ...


Different topic.  I have almost finished looking at Pride.  Pride is the most interesting "vice" to me ... that's what I've discovered.  I think pride may be "the point of sin origin" ... just one step too far on a good track and ... over the edge on a downhill slide.
I am also doing some studying on, hmmm, difficult to quite label, 'cause even the words are loaded.  So easy to misconstrue meanings and significance ... anyway, something about a woman's "place" in life roles.  I'm finding that the picture of a woman is framed by a picture of a man and precisely visa versa too.  I am thinking about how much we "shape" ... define ... emphasis ... minimize ...  each other.   

"Without wearing any mask we are conscious of, we have a special face for each friend."  Oliver Wendell Holmes

I won't be writing my notes on that here because I think everyone needs to make the journey to their own conclusions.  Am am trying to work out what I think of these words:

"The second basic truth is that the woman, as the same Paul reminds us, is the glory of man (1 Cor. 11:7).  This passage has often been misconstrued as teaching a hierarchy from God to man and man to woman.  But this is not its point or purpose.  The question is that of the relation between powers, and of mediation.  The text I want to focus on here is the one about glory.  Following Barth (and others), I have often recalled that glory is revelation.  God glorifies himself when he reveals himself as he is.  Jesus Christ glorifies God when he reveals him to us as the God of love who is also the Father.  We ourselves are called upon to be the glory of God as we are his image as we show by what we are who is the God to whom we bear witness.  In this passage Paul then adds that the woman is the glory of the man: she reveals him; she shows what a human being truly is.
If we relate this to the temptation, we learn that by what she says the woman brings to light the fundamental reality of Adam.  She shows him to be weak, undiscerning, fluctuating, ambitious, desirous of equality with God, etc.  She simply reveals this.  Both are equally at fault, and the condemnation (as commentators and theologians should remember) is more severe for the man, since he is given no hope, whereas the woman has a double promise and carries a double hope, namely, that she will transmit life and that her posterity will crush the serpent."
Jacques Ellul, The Subversion of Christianity, William B. Erdmans Publishing Company, Grand Rapids, MI 1986, pg. 76

Thinking about it.  




No comments: