The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Sunday, August 8, 2010


I am seldom alone, but frequently lonely. How does that happen?

Some one I don't know just sent me a friend request. Right in the middle of typing that sentence. It seems like we are becoming less connected as we find more ways of connecting. I am actually a bit frayed around the edges by my connections! The emotional physical spiritual ... All the "als" of raising five children and maintaining all those long term 24/7 relationships and a marriage ... It's a lot.

Then what happens?

My FI has worked at getting me to do all the radio work from my plane. I'm used to the other pilot doing radios if I'm flying. Previous experience has taught me that when I am sitting beside some one, they will do most, almost all of the talking. Not this guy. This guy expects me to say what needs to be said. He's trying to shape me up to work with students who don't have a clue what to say ... or may very well say the wrong thing. I've noticed that I have a tendency towards not talking when I'm flying. As much as I write here, you'd think I'm a big talker in general - not so much. In general, I haven't spoken up as much as I should have. So, while it's been weird to have a very quiet FI insisting that I do all the work, it's been eye opening as well. He wants to see single pilot type ops. I get that now that I'm thinking about it. It makes sense. I am flying FO style - he's building a strong decisive leader, not an awesome capable follower. I can do that.
I've taken that lesson with me out of the plane and into my life perspective. In my life I have not spoken up as often as I should have. I have not participated as actively as I should have. I let my hands be tied ... My eyes be blinded ... And my voice be silenced. Why did I do that? And how do I come out of that cocoon without making a mess? My husband tends to experience a different opinion as a lack of support - like I'm not on his team ... like I may be pulling against him. Over the years it's just been easier not express a different point of view. I'm going to do better with that.

Well, who ever that was who wanted to be friends hasn't responded to my question of why.

No comments: