The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Sunday, August 1, 2010

I've been thinking about why I want to work as a CFI. I don't know how I'll answer that question when asked because the truth is probably more personal then I would share ... like most of my truths. People really want a casual answer. How are you? I am fine. That kind of thing.

I read what I wrote about those children creating art. Yeah, they skipped away with a tangible treasure ... something worth keeping ... worth framing. But what was so meaningful to me is the fact that they became more then they were in the process of acquiring the skills and creative motive to produce or render that object. The act of creating or accomplishing built them. Their choices and effort made them more. Guess what? I don't especially like children. They are messy and un - self disciplined. They cry over the littlest thing and look at you to make things better. Their charm is overstated. They don't know what they think and in fact, they almost don't think. I didn't like them before I started having them and it is a miracle that I like mine ... but I do most of the time. I like adults. Or at least almost adults - I like people starting when they are no longer children. Young adults are fun, because they are figuring out what they actually think rather then what they are instructed to think. I have noticed "that" to be one of the main differences between here (Deep South) and there (God's own country aka Texas). In Texas, people tend to know what they think and are unapologetic about it even when they are dead wrong. Over here people tend to look at each other to see what they think. A few people tell everyone else what we think .. or tradition makes the call. Not all bad, but not very interesting either. I like people who know what they think or are a very least putting in the effort to figure it out.
Pilots tend to be that kind of person.
Sitting in that little right seat of that little airplane keeping the environment safe and conducive to learning - collaborating with a person who is in the process of becoming more through their choices and effort. I've seen it happen. I just tapped that out and I may need to refine it, but I think that's it. I want to help someone on this journey. It's a worthy pursuit. I can help them get started. I already know it will take them to a better version of themselves.

No comments: