The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Yesterday my son, Three, who is seventeen and becoming more interested in the larger world, asked me, "Mom, are you conservative or liberal?" At the time FOX News was showing ... apparently the President's spiritual leanings are a national concern of late. We watch both conservative and liberal news outlets ... seems like the news is on if the TV is on. Someone likes the mega pawn shop show and "Pickers" ... a couple of someones like the food network ... we all like Myth Busters ... I like some of the National Geographic and History channel programing ... but all viewing begins at a news source it seems. I don't like TV news. It seems more like a squabble over current events then actual reporting. I really miss Walter Cronkite ... and Dan Rather. I remember when the news came in black and white. I remember when broadcasts didn't sparkle and flash ... Mr. Cronkite might grimace. "I wouldn't place myself squarely in either camp." I answered my son. "I guess I could be described as very conservative fiscally and with the military. I think States are in a better position to make most laws. Ummm socially, I'm probably pretty liberal. I don't think everything is my business - like abortion and gay marriage. I don't want to patrol personal choices and I'd like the right to make my own choices as long as we can all be somewhat respectful." There were a couple of girls fondling each other on the cookie/cracker aisle yesterday - I'd rather not see that, but I would have felt the same had they been a hetero couple. I'm willing to bet that they wouldn't want to see me smooching it up with my husband. I think abortion destroys more then a baby, but I strongly feel the choice should be available. There are many things that a person can actually do in support of continuing a pregnancy. On social agendas I think less talk more action would go a long ways. I don't like the bad language that is common place. My 24 year old hadn't heard a racial slur or a cuss word until he began first grade ... he didn't know that children might possible come to school in the morning without having breakfast first ... and without a lunch bag or milk money. My children were shocked to see shoeless ... toothless ... beggars on a vacation in Mexico. We told them that level of poverty can be found through out our country as well. When we watch the news we really don't get a feel for the situation ... the climate on the ground. I'm enjoying the book I'm reading right now - Three Cups Of Tea. It's an interesting perspective of the Muslim world. I remember my oldest son's first pre school teacher - she was here because her family had to flee Iran. I liked her. It was hard for her to leave her country. About ten years ago there were several Muslim women sitting in a local church waiting to drop off their children for preschool. I asked them what is the celebration of this holiday (that they were getting ready to enjoy) in honor of? I wanted to know what it was all about. They consulted with each other and finally told me basically that they didn't have a clue - that it was a time when everybody ate meat. They told me that women usually don't know the meaning of religious holidays. I thought of Santa and the Easter Bunny. I was glad that I didn't have to explain our Christian holidays.
I miss Walter Cronkite. I sometimes miss the black and white world where right and wrong were clearly defined - a child's world. I don't like that all the shades of grey are manipulated - jazzed up and down and all around - it seems unnecessarily childish. I'm not surprized that we can't see eye to eye on things ... we can't even do that in a small group like my family. We try.

No comments: