The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Monday, June 11, 2012

Next two ... or maybe three ... projects

Monday morning ... and they're off ... !
"Uh, by the way, the uh Jeep is not working."  Two is one red Ked in one red Ked out the front door.  "What's wrong with the Jeep?"  I ask.
"I don't know Mom, something with the battery I think."

There is something with that battery, which may have something to do with something else about that Jeep.  It doesn't like to stay in alignment, and the battery cable connections whack out ... umm, occasionally.  Oh well.  I may look at it later.  The smell of roasted coffee beans in is the air, and everything is getting ready to be just fine.  

Joulies*
Coffee in hand, I situate to call my brother.  Uh oh.  I am borrowing some one's old device.  My sim card is in their old spare iPhone because my old iPhone said no mas and I am trying to hold out for the 5 ... October I hear.  And ... my "Rolodex" is on the slumbering phone not the sim card ... surely they have his number.  I know he chats with all these kids routinely.  Nope, not under first name, not under last name.  Guess I'll have to send him an email asking him to call me when he gets a minute.  Dangit.  He checks his mail late in the day.  Then I realize his number is probably stored under "U" for uncle or maybe even "F" for favorite.  Uh huh.  There he is ... he tells me that he's giving a really neat old armoire to One.  I like that my eldest is near my brother.

It is low OVC here this morning ... thinking about raining low.  I was going to fly on Friday with that guy who needs to work on trim and rudder.  He called to cancel.  The winds were moving around more then he was comfy with. I could tell he was very concerned that I would be, he said aggravated.  No, not at all, I was surprised but not annoyed.  I think he said they were gusting 20Kts and maybe ranging 20 degrees either side of 18.  He thought maybe it would be better for him to work out aircraft control issues in better conditions.  Yeah, I'm thinking maybe end of August, but I agree with his insight.  I assure him that I'm not aggravated and that I think he is making a good choice.  We'll step in to less then perfect winds when he is ready.  We flew with minimal winds the other day and I wasn't tickled with his alignment.  I am thinking that it would help him if we sat in his plane and visualized landings.  His hands don't go where they should when they should for landings. Or departures.   I could feel him tensing up. He thought it was kinda special that the stall warning didn't ping. So that's where we are at.
Given the opportunity to do so, airplanes know how to land.  Yeah, I should sit with him on the ground and walk him through some landings.  I just don't want him to think I'm going to spend much time sitting around in an airplane on the ground.  I say I like airplanes, but more accurately ... I like to fly.

For today though ...
I am going to sand this table top and ... tomorrow I will stain it and on Wednesday I think I will seal it.   I'm really thinking about tung oil and paste wax.  And ... by Father's Day it will be operational ... complete with the new table runner and candle do dah.  My husband will enjoy a special Sunday lunch at that old table.


I like this.  Well, not exactly this ...I like where it's going .
When we bought this house there were water stains on the wall above that picture and on the ceiling beginning 5' away from the wall.  A leak.  The leak was fixed.  The wall board was replaced ... ceiling material and insulation ... replaced.  Few years later ... ummm, a spot on the ceiling ... then a soft spot ... then a leak.  Then ... the leak gets fixed and sheet rock repairs are made and of course the entire ceiling is repainted.  Kind of a big tedious deal.  Five or so years ago we had the entire roof replaced.  The roofers took all the material off down to the wood decking.  This is a lovely tongue and groove roof deck.  New home construction uses plywood decking.  One of the reasons I love this old house is because it was built with wood that took a while to grow hammered in place by men who had been building homes for a while.  This house was well built.  Well ... that leak was really supposed to be repaired when they re-roofed.  But ... it wasn't.  My husband cut a few holes in the ceiling to see what was really going on ... eventually I said just pull that entire section down, it'll be easier for me to replace an entire board then a bunch of little (super annoying) punch outs.  That turned in to carefully peeling back the shingles to get a look at things from the outside ... which reveal the problem.  The roofers didn't remove the material right around the fireplace and ... they didn't interlock the flashing with the new shingles.  They cut corners there.  I don't know why.  Maybe the boss was away.  I was over seeing the project and had complete confidence in the integrity of the guy I hired.  I would like to believe he wasn't aware of the mess.  Either way, live and learn.  My husband built a cricket for the top side of the chimney which will shed water which was pooling. And he replaced a few weathered boards ... and the felt and the shingles (I had a bundle left over tucked away just in case) and the flashing.  I am very happy ... very happy ... about this.  It's raining right this minute.  Outside.  I really like a roof that doesn't leak.  I am glad my husband made time to fix it.  I'm glad he did it.  He does good work.
So ... later this week the sheet rock for the ceiling will go up.  L will place and secure the board.  Then I will finish it up ... and then ... no more sheet rock dust in my house.  It's a big deal to me.  I really hope my days of overhead sheet rock work are winding down.  It's my least favorite home repair by far.

I want to finish up all these little "refreshes" around the house this summer.  My list is shrinking.  When school starts back I want to find a job ... just a job ... almost anything will do.  Since we are going to be here for a few more years (at least)  I want a  real job, one with a paycheck.


*Joulies ... Pinterest says these are spray painted coffee beans ... for floral arrangements or, ummm, candles maybe ... my kid say these and he was very impressed with how I hang with what's trending ... reader's digest version of this :  These are "joules" ... energy exchangers ... they keep your coffee 140*F ... perfect drinking temp ... pretty cool ... liked and linked.

No comments: