The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Saturday, June 9, 2012

This is what I did today.

Now that I know about those Miller dowels I believe I can "fix" this table.  I have sanded everything below the top by hand.  I'm going to get the leg back in and put the leaves in and lightly belt sand the top. I'll probably just use tung oil on the legs and skirt ... seal the top.  This table was my husband's grandparents table.  It's more interesting then I thought it was because the legs are obviously hand done ... and some little scamp has notched the underside where he must have sat. L's aunt told him they grew up with a standard seating arrangement.  No telling how many years this table has been in service.  I like it.  

I don't know very much about old furniture, but I do know from sanding these legs today that the flutes are hand planned or chiseled ... a lot of work and love went in to making this piece.  Just a matter of time and the wobbly leg will be steady.
I have already "created" a lovely center piece ... candle in a huge hurricane jar with shells ... to celebrate the redo.

And ... I found the outlet for Restoration Hardware ... and it is within driving distance.  When we can get over that way I'm going to call them to see if "my" chairs are inventoried.  That may work out yet.

No comments: