The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Friday, July 13, 2012

the pot


this one came out of the fire yesterday
light turquoise and peridot
I like to leave clay outside the vessel exposed, and this time I wanted to apply the glaze upside down covering the bottom and flowing towards the rim of the bowl
the inside is solid turquoise
this is my favorite thing I've thrown so far

Once the girls are back in school I will have a bit more time to devote to pottery doings.  It's not that interesting, but ... I like something about it quite a bit.  The wheel encourages me to zone out, while at the same time keeping myself together.  That may not make sense ... I think of it like this ... "I", the physical me, has to be focused to be part of executing a thrown piece ... elbow tucked, body centered ... focused ... my hands are learning how to do this ... the clay informs me and I listen with my hands.  The round and round of the wheel is somewhat mesmerizing, and the clay has some sort of  ju ju ... it is seductive.  I don't aspire to much more then amusing myself with this little past time ... pencil cups for the kids, that sort of thing.  

I would like to hand build new bases and tops for two cut glass lamps.  L and I bought these for our home back in the very early days of our marriage ... I still remember the day.  We weren't lamp shopping, but I saw shafts of prism-ed light dancing through a store window and was delighted ... we went inside.  L insisted that we could afford them ... we really couldn't, but I am glad he did.  The heavy glass torqued out the base connection several years ago, and they have been wrapped up in storage ever since ... tell you the truth, I like seeing this one just laying on the table, it is collecting and dispersing little beams of joy around the room.  I am excited about getting these little treasures back up lighting up some smiles.

The glass is etched with a signature ... we will collaborate on this ... cool.

At five this morning when my husband was leaving for the day I was sitting up in bed reading about some super hot, very cool, high performance departure ... great way to start the day, I should save this for when I have coffee in hand ... but I don't ... maybe I'll read it again then.  
L was trying to give me a list of things to do with out giving me a list of things to do ... he has a highly developed way of saying without saying (which annoys me when I hear it but later find sort of amazing ... like a puzzle ... oh yeah, exactly that, encrypted communications ... which I hear while checking my buttons, this isn't about me unless I make it so ... easy there ... ) ..."yes dear, I will see the insurance guy today ... yes, I'll get that all buttoned up .... yes, it's movie night (what the heck? Captain Dave has selected a favorite comment ... and it wasn't mine ... well, yes ... that was a really good comment ... hmmm ... favorite comment huh?  Good idea in case there is a book forth-coming ... that guy is either uber genius or just blind lucks in to some potential magic ... I wonder if/how this will affect future comments) ... yes I think she would like that (V will be joining us for date night) ... yes, yes, I'll remind him (list for the kids begins), and I have a thing at the airport at 1:30 ... then, we'll pick you up for the movie ... do you want some coffee? I ask as he comes out of the closest set for the day.  Nope ... he'll get coffee at the office.

I was alone in the kitchen fixing dinner last night when my phone lit up ... one of my fly guys ... he is so excited about his new ride and he knows he can count on me to be high quality happy for him ... pilots don't always default to enthusiastic listening mode when hearing about a bud's good fortune ... not enough coins to go around in commercial aviation.  I know enough to ask the right questions ... about the engine ... and the avionics ... and how did the seat feel ... "Holy sierra!  Awesome!  No goofball, it's not overpowered, you're just accustomed to flying crap up off the ground ... now for the good stuff!"  ... I am so proud of these guys.  He spools down eventually ... telling me I really should reapply out there ... there is something supremely bittersweet in these conversations for me.  I am very pleased for my guys, but ... their news always probes a spot in me that I have to repackage in the after quiet.  I have learned to say that the guy not allowing me to be hired actually did me a big favor 'cause I don't need to bring the drama home with me (CFI work is hard work and would be made more so in a hostile environment) ... buddy says that is truer then I can possible know.  I actually do know how true that is ... it took a lot of work to accept it ...  as truth you don't wanna hear always does.  I think I will be glad when these guys stop calling to check in on me. It stirs the pot that I have taken off the stove.


So ... the one thought I sat down with to write this morning ...
I have noticed that by time one gets really good at something ... it seems like time on that is up ... you build it right up to the point where it ... ends ... and that whatever it was ... prepares you for the next thing.  Wouldn't I love to take this wisdom back to me in my twenties.  I think I have learned a lot of important stuff ... about what is actually important mostly (sigh) ... .

Well ... hair to wash and dry ... calls to make ... a good day ahead I do believe.


ps ... that's funny ... I publish this post and then scroll through to proof read ... do I really want to say that stuff aloud ... yeah, pretty much okay ... and I flip down to look at that beautiful picture below ... and yesterday's photo ... and I notice, all my pots are empty.  I'm waiting to see what gets cooking next cause I have a ton of very interesting ingredients on hand.  Some super cool stuff could be up next.

No comments: