The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Monday, July 2, 2012

These are really good colors ... I like the ocean quite a bit.  We were at the coast several times last summer ... this summer we hope to get away for a few days in August ... before the girls go back to school.  I wish I had learned how to surf ... I think the time for that is past.  I rarely see surf able waves where we go anyway ... they come with systems in the gulf, and those encourage us to head North.  I know I would love the sensation of surfing ... maybe it is a bit like sailing.

Lately, I have been getting more involved in the financial aspects of maintaining our life.  It shocks, and appalls, some of my friends that I ask my husband for money when I need or want something. People look at money (power) all different ways.  I guess we have structured a very traditional relationship ... until recently, rigidly so.  That didn't work as well for us as sharing the responsibilities has.  Recently we have found software to help manage the budget.  I like it a lot ... well, I did like it a lot until I spent a lot of it stocking up on essentials for miss summer away.  That took a pretty good bite out of the monthly grocery budget and the last couple of days required more creativity in meal planning then I am used to.  It was annoying to have plenty of available cash, but the constraint of waiting to make that budget work.  I think that is what a budget is though ... lol.  We could see a lot of money flying out of here on eating out and basically, thoughtlessness on grocery purchases.  Yesterday we bought crab legs for Three's special meal ... before the budget, I know I would have bought them at Sam's and I know there would have been enough in the box for at least three meals for our family.  Yesterday we bought just enough for the one meal ... and ... they were on sale where I bought them.  I probably paid less per pound then the Sam's price, but I know for sure that I made them fit in our monthly goals.  We like crab legs, but probably would be a lot less enthusiastic sitting down to that three of four times in a month.  The kids would love to eat pizza that often ... salmon that often ... lots of entrees ... crab is supposed to be special. (Yeah ... you both were missed One and Four)  L is starting to recognize some places where he would like to spend less of his money ... ummm, José ... who knew that triple sec is almost as good as Cointreau (yeah, not really, but at a quarter of the cost, it may be worth pretending) ... and ... he has observed that the tequila that he likes (a lot) is a lot more expensive then any of the other liquors ... he might want to consider vodka or gin drinks for example ... so far, not, but I concern myself only with the grocery budget.  He laughs that I won't buy mixers on my dime.  I tell him he can do shots ... or pick up his stuff at the bottle shop. Fortunately, he knows I am sorta kidding.  I am not much of a drinker ... now high end shampoo ... that is getting ready to be on the radar!  They don't sell my shampoo at the grocery store, and even if it is probably a ton more, it is so much better that no one can pretend it's not!  And, darn it ... yesterday we restocked my candle and the price on it had increased significantly, and the sales tax has gone up from7.25 to a whooping 9%.  I'm watching the use on that candle!  I may have to get used to the smell of lysol and rubbing alcohol!  He said we would stock up at the Yankee Candle outlet down at the beach.  It would be just mean of me to suggest that other companies make tequila, right?

So ... turns out I am pretty good at managing money.  We already knew that but, for some reason he has just done the hardest parts of this all by himself.  Last week he asked me to straighten out some glitch in the cellular bill ... with all these kids, we have had more then one account ... now we have just one and it's a lot easier to keep track of.  This week I am finishing up collecting bids on our homeowners insurance.  Tornados in the South have directly affected us though we sustained no damage, and have never needed to make an insurance claim.  Our company is out of the homeowners coverage business!  This has been pretty interesting and informative for me ... I have never done anything insurance wise, well, unless we can count telling them what our medical deductible is for well children visits ... . It is good to be insured!  I called an friend who is a financial advisor, and he gave me the download, and also made several recommendations.  I knew one guy that is in the insurance business here locally who I would not want to talk to, but other then that I was clueless.  Turns out everyone want our vehicle insurance coupled with the homeowners.  Everyone sees the need to diversify their risks.  Gosh, I'm glad I don't make a living selling insurance!  Our vehicle guys have bid to pick up the homeowners policy.  Now I am waiting on three other bids so we can make a best decision.  I have enjoyed learning about this and talking with the folks involved.  I really think both partners in a marriage should know about their finances ... it's just too much of a load for one person.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woah! I'm really enjoying the template/theme of this website. It's simple, yet effective. A lot of times it's challenging to get that "perfect balance" between superb usability and appearance. I must say that you've done a very good job with this. Also, the blog loads extremely quick for me on Firefox. Excellent Blog!
My page: http://surfbrands.net/

DeAnn said...

thank you