The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Friday, October 8, 2010

#18 Boom Boom Pow

I kept on waking up during the night ... it's still night ... thinking the airplane thing would work out ... and then (just because I want it to) the inspector thing would also work out. I like that about me ... optimistic, resilient, tenacious ... ha ha what a girl!

The drapes are drawn. I like the drapes. I open them right when I wake up and I watch the dark being infused with light. When I get back in the room each evening I've drawn the layers closed ... the wall of glass blanketed by heavy fabric on one side and the continuous hum of the AC on the other ... me in the middle, working away or sleeping. It's been a good room for this task. The draperies have kept the outside ... away. When I open them today, what will I see?

My books are boxed up ... ready to go. My clothes are next. I think I'm going to wear those bodacious cowboy boots of mine today. They remind me that just because I want to kick something doesn't mean I have to ... or even should. I'll have everything ready to go down to my car shortly.

6:30 seems like a long time from now. The best case scenario I can see from here is that the Inspector gives me the name of a couple of Designated Pilot Examiners. He won't though. I already know that. He has me for two weeks before that happens. Frankly, I would rather do it with the FSDO. Some people think the DPEs are easier ... I doubt it. Some people already think it'll be easier for me simply because I am a woman. I don't think it has been ... but being a woman is my only perspective. I heard an ugly word used to refer to women who like to fly, day before yesterday. I felt the pain of it ... even though in this particular context it wasn't even directly applied to me ...The guy was just saying some people may think that of me (just because I am a woman who likes to fly). Whatever.

Today. I've never checked out of a hotel before. I had never walked down the hall to the ice machine before this trip. But I have been the one who gets up and opens the drapes ... and the doors if we're at the coast. This hasn't been a vacation exactly ... in the sense of being away from what is my normal life it has been a vacation. I've been okay - good. This has been good for me.

No comments: