The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Sunday, October 31, 2010

I used to read a lot. Different kinds of books ... classics, sci-fi, best sellers, Clancey and Clavell, those charming books by Jan Karon, Lewis ... and books on philosophy ... favorite quotes ...The Message ... NIV ... the Apocrypha ... I used to have two or three books going at the same time. Then I started needing that time to get my ground lessons in shape ... then my CFI notebooks. I find myself at a loss for what to read! I am on break. Today I lounged and read just what I knew would make me smile ... some reliably favorite stuff. I drank my martini after lunch and when my husband had to make a run to Home Depot he offered his ... hmmm, ice crystals still floating ... two will be too many I thought ... briefly. It has been a lazy day.

My son, One, reads. I have looked at a couple of books at his request during this last few years. He has given me a book. "I'm up to page 53," he said handing it to me, "Let's read it together and discuss it when we're finished. Exactly how I like to read a book ... with a buddy.

The Haidmaid's Tale. Creepy. Compelling. Chilling. By Margaret Atwood. It seems to have a post feminist vibe. I wouldn't have picked it up on my own ... I can wait to get back to it!

"To want is to have a weakness.
(a separate idea:)... It's this weakness, whatever it is, that entices me. ... I want to know what he wants." pg 136.
"He doesn't mind this. (This= the main character lost her job, her bank acct was transferred to her husband, and she was unable to make purchases on her own accord.) He doesn't mind it at all. Maybe he even likes it. We are not each other's, anymore. Instead, I am his." pg 182

The main character has lost the life she knows ... her ability to make choices is severely limited. Set in a dystopia, she is valued only for her ability to produce a child. I have a feeling it will not end well.

Next, I might read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Or Stones to Schools,by Greg Mortenson. Or one of those Oprah Magazines stacked up and still glossy. I don't have anything on the side table that looks really interesting ... . It's hard to compete with the Naval Aviator. Suggestions?

No comments: