The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Just to quickly update - because I am ... What? I'm not exactly tired ... no, I am tired. I'm tired of doing everything I possibly can and then stuff just not working out. This is an excellent time for me to remember how truly fortunate I am. I'm in a pretty nice room with a bag full of Lindt LINDOR TRUFFLES.
I have all my endorsements in order - the logbook is ready to go. I could tweak a couple of subcategories with in the areas of operation ... but, that's just me, I'm big on polishing.

1:00 local - I request the instructor put in a call to scheduling at the FSDO (he's getting married this weekend and maybe just a tad off task) ... he did so, and lo and behold they have an inspector for me! Great!! I am so happy. The inspector calls and we make a plan for when and where. I am really on my way now! Then, I learn that the part to the airplane ... which later becomes two parts ... did not make it in on the normal overnight mail drop off. They are always here by now I'm told. You better call your inspector and give him a head's up I'm told. I call him ... he is a little annoyed, and I explain to him, that this is the first I knew of a possibility of not having an airplane. Those pictures I posted the other day with the prop au natural ... that's my plane ... I just didn't know it. So - we need a spinner and a shroud for the carb manifold. I know where there's an RG that might loan a part ... or two. I make that call ... but it turns into a no go. At 3:00 I call the inspector back per his request ... that's his time frame for pulling the plug on this. I have a suggestion ... How about if he comes over here and we do the oral here while the new guy is doing his oral in a different room with a different inspector ... (he has priority on the plane that works...that's what the discussion outside was about when my oral prep was cut short ... and let me say here - no hard feelings, he came back to do his ride) ... then whoever finishes first does their ride while the others plow on, or maybe go to lunch. "Oh - no way." he says, very nicely, very firmly. He tells me that he will make other plans for tomorrow, but I should call him at 6:30 local to re-schedule when he has his calendar available ... maybe the 22nd. If the plane is ready, may I try to schedule with a different inspector I ask. He very nicely explains to me that, that will not do. I am here from out of State I tell him ... . He doesn't want to commit to anything I can tell and I thank him and say, yessir, I will call you tomorrow morning. I am not very happy.
At 3;30 local the guy in brown comes in with a very large package. It looks big enough for a spinner. It is a spinner ... and yes! A shroud. The mechanic scoops it up with a smile and heads for the hanger. I am very happy. I call the Inspector. He does not answer his phone. I leave a message: The parts are in and the mechanic says the airplane will be ready to roll early tomorrow morning. I'll call you at 6:30 to see if you can schedule my practical. I go back to finishing the hours on my 8710. At 5:00 local I start heading back for the hotel. Maybe he will release me to a DPE I think. I am feeling the weight of total immersion ... I am tired. The fizzle is out of my focus just this minute. I'm line up and wait.
I told myself this morning that this was all going to work out just fine ... that was before I knew about the equipment issues or I might have spent the night worrying about that. On the drive back to the room I began to "fret" ... and I decided to just not. I'm tired, but I don't have to fret. Maybe it will all work out. I picked up Chick-fil-a soup. I talked to my husband. He was supportive. He told me to get a good nights sleep - that I have done all I can. I told him that I was going to make these notes for the day and then maybe try to figure out how to work the TV remote - that's a joke, because I almost never touch the remote at home. When I was about half way through this post, the flight school called ... bad news. The line to the tachometer is broken. The plane is grounded.
I said, "Okay, thank you for letting me know. I'll try to get the inspector to flip me to a DPE for Saturday or Sunday."
It's going to be okay. I may have to go home without it this time. I really hope not. It's in God's hands ... whether I know it or not it is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

still praying you come home with what is yours. hang it there. love you dearly.

hg

Anonymous said...

i meant to say 'in there'. hang in there. but hang it there will do too. and you're still a rockstar for knowing what DPE and a tachometer is.

DeAnn said...

You are awesome H ... this was a good time for a laugh. I'll hang it there, sweetpea.
The Tach is something that measures rotations ... just like your speedometer ... it's used to gauge time on the engine (and prop) to access the relative health of the powerplant I guess you could say. It also sets the maintenance schedule. Just like your car. DPE = Designated Pilot Examiner. In case the FAA office is too backed up, rather then keep an applicant for a certificate on hold, they let them make an appointment with a prequalified/approved substitute. I'm glad I carry you in my heart! I love you and appreciate that you always say the right thing at the right time. I'll schedule that Aveda day as soon as I get this thing wrapped up!