The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

It's the kind of Tuesday that feels like a Monday. Yesterday was spent chaperoning sixth graders through team building experiences. 7:30 to 5:30 ... then home to put dinner on the table. It was a long day, but a good day.
I'm at my favorite window drinking coffee and tapping out line items, "To Do" events on the yellow legal pad app ... The list is long ... longer then the day. This Sunday, I re-read the first third or so of The Goal ... A book essentially about constraints, flow models, critical path, productivity (it's actually an excellent book). My husband uses it in (I think) his senior design course ... or maybe project management. It is written as a novel which is a bit extraordinary as textbooks go. Anyway, sometimes I design his tests ... Writing questions pertaining to The Goal was how I spent Sunday after lunch. That and thinking about the sermon on evil. Today ... at my favorite window ... I see lush layers of green ... The last bits of green straining towards the morning light. Fall is coming up out of the ground. I can't see it from my window yet, but I know it's pushing this last bit of green towards harvest time. The pecan trees branches lean low with ripening fruit. In the rose vine the nests are silent ... Those baby birds are long gone. The golden garden spider is also done with her web weaving ... I have been looking for her all week. I'll blow what is left of that lacey lattice away when I get to the front porch part of that list today.

My checklist. My way of averting bottlenecks ...
... the black and white of today.

In a minute I will choose some music and I'll start checking off items while I look for the color between the black and white to do line items. Between the radials as my soul flys through this day.



While I typed this note a big red pickup drove by with big dogs barking excitedly. Sammy was happy to reply. I also saw a man running backwards up the hill ... People drive to this neighborhood to do their three or five miles inside this cocoon of green. It is beautiful here. H's dad just went by ... walking fast like he does ... and a very old lady walking very slowly in maybe her house robe ... I love that, she looked like a ghost floating by. That man on the scooter passed by ... sometimes he sings on his way home ... it makes me smile. Across the street, the lawn service that sprays chemical directives on their lawn did their thing and pulled away just in time for the mowing crew to arrive ... they will vacumn that stuff right up with the grass clippings ... the people who live there are not at home.

Time to get on with it!

No comments: