The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

“The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth, dwelling deeply in the present moment and feeling truly alive.” ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

What is a miracle? This morning I've asked the people in my family this question. It surprises me to hear such very different perspectives under the same roof! The question goes well with grits and rainey Southern mornings.

I think a miracle is "an event" where a soul experiences the presence of God ... via our physical senses, or our intellect, or spiritually. I think a miracle is any time or place where we "walk" mindfully, like the first people did in the garden, with God. It seems like we have to quietly match pace with God for this walk, and I feel that this is what TNH is expressing. To walk on the earth, in this fallen state, wasn't the original design. It seems like communion was God's intent. Okay ... I've wandered to my definition: A miracle is any anything whereby mankind shares communion with God.

My husband says a miracle is an act whereby God expresses his authority over natural laws. He cited Biblical miracles like Moses with the plagues and the rod he struck the rock with. "Are births miracles?" I asked and he said he didn't believe so, because births are natural events. His definition seems to be very textbook ... I've looked up definitions today.

Because I believe God spun the universe in to motion, I not sure the natural law deal is satisfying to me. Natural laws are God's laws within that context and "miraculous" must be at his discretion ... Maybe top shelf laws so to speak ... Not laws which break or contradict other laws.

The leper was healed. He was unclean, and their laws required him to maintain his distance from people and to announce his uncleanness whenever someone was within earshot. Was he calling out "unclean, unclean" when Jesus came by ... Idk ... The text says he called out to Jesus and that Jesus healed him ... He said something like, If you are willing, you are able to heal me. I think the story of a miracle, like this story, tell a lot of stories. Yeah, seems to demonstrate Jesus authority over natural law, as miracles are defined, but there are other stories here that are actually relevant to me ... This is my miracle too ... All the miracles of Christ carry a meaning which I think is personal to each of us. According to the laws laid out in the Old Testament, touching a leper made one unclean ... They took the uncleanness of the leper upon themselves. That is where this particular miracle expands ... I recognised that I am spiritually unclean ... He didn't make a rule whereby I had to call that out to everyone, but he did make a way to come by me and I did ask Him to heal me ... And he took upon himself, my sins and the sins of us all ... To me, for me, for all of us, that is a miracle. He came and made a way for us to become clean ... and physical death loses it's sting right there. A miracle I can't see. Natural laws weren't involved beyond the first layer of this story, and yet the miracle penetrates through eternity.

2 comments:

PeterO said...

You have a way with words and again I enjoyed reading your blog. Found this and thought I should share it with you!

The Miracles of the Loaves
by C. H. SPURGEON
(1834-1892)
"Do we not very frequently suffer our memory to let his benefits go? Is not depression of spirit occasioned by the fact that we do not well consider the miracle of the loaves or its counterpart which has taken place in our history? How many times have I sought the Lord in sorest trouble and he has brought me through! What burdens have I carried to him and found them vanish! What wants has he not supplied? What marvels has he not wrought on my behalf? Surely, if I think of what he has done for me I shall not, unless my heart be hardened, permit myself to be afraid. Cannot many of you say the same? Are there not oases in your pilgrimage through the desert which, as you look back upon them, are to your grateful memory very green and full of sunlight, where the Lord revealed himself to you and wrought very mightily for you?"

Take care

DeAnn said...

Thank you for this thoughtfulness Peter O. I am very glad to think about this and also to remember Spurgeon in general. Lately thinking about looking at each of the miracles recorded during Christ's ministry and Spurgeon will be an excellent source for commentary. Thank you for deciding to go ahead and share this. It's not that I think I need or even want a specific miracle in my own life, just that those stories are rich with layers that are missed in casual reading and I'm looking for wonderful things to occupy myself with. ... Can't go too far wrong with C.H.Spurgeon!