The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

8 / 1000

8. Washing V's long thick hair last night in the kitchen sink. She knew I would adjust the temperature of the water and watch to keep the spray out of her little girl ears ... not so little anymore. She splashed out many a "baby-bathe" in that very same kitchen.
 
I grew up all over the Southwestern parts of the country and saw many wonderful childhood days ... I am thankful for that. Something I never saw as a child, was a pecan tree grow up in my front yard, eventually providing nuts for a Thanksgiving pie. I never saw the paint colors change inside a house as tastes or trends encouraged. How many times have I repainted my kitchen and changed the window treatments over the past twenty years? V suggests paint colors for the ceiling as I hold her head with one hand and pour shampoo with the other. She says she will help me paint next time. Just a year ago a bag swing was suspended from a lower branch of that pecan tree, and my V-V's elementary school teachers would toot their horns and wave as they drove by on their way home. She has outgrown the swing. And she is thinking she may have outgrown momma kisses on the back of a wet neck! She can towel wrap her own hair now. She is growing up. I am thankful that she came back by before I had even rinsed the last bit of bubbles down the drain. (When did she grow so tall?) I hear her say, "Thank you Momma ... my hair feels so good" and I turn around into a big girl hug.
Hugs are good.

No comments: