The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

It's been wet outside today ... low overcast with a steady light shower.  When it's really raining my dog snoozes easy on the back porch, or bumps the window hoping to get my attention, hoping I'll let him in the house.  This drip dropping rain keeps him awake.  He can't see it.  He hears it rustling the high pines, and the dogwoods and red buds canopied below.  He can't figure it out ... sounds like it could possible be trouble out in the woods.  He is certain that it is his job to let me know ... even if it means waking the neighbors who have earned the privilege of sleeping in.  They assure me that Sammy doesn't bother them, and I think to myself that they probably sleep with their hearing devices on the bedside table ... He barks when there is a reason, and the reasons are his own.  He and I are back to our walking routine but I thought maybe to skip it this morning.  Getting out in this type weather would definitely require me to come right home and wash my hair ... which wouldn't be that big a deal if I hadn't blown the blow dryer out the other day.  What turned in to a wad of hair got sucked in to the intake and wound up tight  around the fan ... uh do-hickey, I think it's called.  Yeah ... a mess.  With four women in the house we definitely needed a new blow dryer asap. I selected this one and I think the mesh protecting the intake will stay put.  I just got through reading the pamphlet that came with it.  Don't drop it in the bath tub and don't let your hair get sucked in to the intake.  Good to go.  Anyway ... walking him meant I had to go find a dryer, but the girls have been patient with me as it is.  We made it through Sunday with the most often used electrical gadget  not in the house.  I thought maybe if I got him out in the weather he would put two and two together on where the noise was coming from.  I'm not sure that he even knew he was wet even though we had enough precip to warrant brightly colored umbrellas among the other walkers.  Everyone wants us to stop as we pass by so that they can visit with Sambones.  About midway through the walk I decided to start jogging with him.  He liked it.  I liked it too.  I'm not in great shape for all the up and down terrain around here, but I think I will start running him on the down hills.
 I am still cleaning grout in the breakfast room.  Looking really good.  I wake up in the morning thinking about how good it looks.  Last night I dreamed that I had a gallon jug of sealant (and I think I really do ... out in the garage).  That's what pushed me over the edge on getting out to run in the rain, and go buy a new blow dryer afterwards ... I want to blow dry the grout and seal it immediately before a big dog has time to track nasty inside.  Which reminds me ... I am learning about comets and meteorites right now.  This author, Dr. Stephen Maran, said each of us has at least two particles of space debris in our hair right now.  I love the idea of that.  Dr. Carl Sagan was quoted as saying, well let me go find that real quick ... Symphony of Science  ... made me laugh before it got old ... (found this also but still looking "Human beings have a demonstrated talent for self-deception when their emotions are stirred."  from Cosmos/ Sagan  ... uh, true that)




“The cosmos is within us. We're made of star-stuff. We are a way for the universe to know itself.”
― Carl Sagan

There we go.  He says we are made of star-stuff. Star stuff ...I like it.  I believe we were created by the creator of the stars ... and His signature is apparent on all his stuff.  I like the quote.  I simply interpret the common fingerprint through a different filter.

“The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.” 
 Carl Sagan

I admire the late Carl Sagan.   And I certainly agree wholeheartedly with this statement: "... in our vulnerability ... to look death in the eye and be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides."  Truly genius.  So much of what he left behind stands strong.  When I hear the question "If you could have lunch with anyone living or dead ... who would it be?"  Carl Sagan is on the short list.  Another comes immediately to mind also.

...yeah ... star-stuff particles on my scalp ... blow dryer ... all that.  Ummm ... I think I am going to have to find something to engage me.  The floor scouring ... I like it, but I'm thinking I have all this time in front of me (umm maybe, that's an assumption) what am I going to do with myself for the next several years.  Part of why I love flying and flight training (either side of it) is because there is so much cool stuff to learn.  It keeps on giving you opportunities to engage.  So ... I have always enjoyed learning about stuff and I wonder if I would like taking classes specifically for some Master's program, and if I did, what would it be in?  I like science and history ... I like literature and architecture ... I'm interested in nutrition ... .  I started graduate school in Architecture back in the day.  I should get my master's in something ... maybe.  In the meanwhile ... I am pioneering in what an active retirement might look like.

No comments: