The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thursday evening - end of class day one.

I came back to the room and filled up the ice bucket. Cool drinks seem to be priority one. Ice water is so good. We were given an hour lunch break and everyone opted to eat at one of the on field restaurants. I wished that I didn't have to make small talk - fortunately, one of the guys felt like sharing his life story. One of the guys is vegetarian - I ordered a veggie burger just before he ordered his, and became an instant best friend. "Are you vegetarian?" he asked leaning in towards me so the others wouldn't hear. I thought of that medium rare steak that disappeared from my plate on Sunday. "Not really (more like not at all)." I said ... will he feel snookered when he sees how bi-dietary I really am? Maybe I'll wear yoga pants to soften the blow. The two weekness of this program seems to be pretty permeable. I have a sense that two of my classmates kinda float in and out of this program. I thought this was the first time this class had been offered, but I learned today that this is actually the 36th time. So five of us today. The old-timers in the room are talking about someone who will be joining us next week. He wears a gun (all the time) and I think they said he works as a border patrol agent. The idea of a gun is very exciting to these young men. I was recently somewhere where I was asked "Are you carrying weapons?" "Only my lipstick." I replied. I think most pilots should carry weapons ....



So, I returned to the room and put together this dinner. I am glad I brought a couple of bowls. It's nice to have some familiar things around. I really don't know how airline pilots do it ... or any of the pilots who are away from home alot. It seems like the lifestyle would be tremendously stressful. I am still at that point where the silence is - well, kinda great. I rode the elevator down this morning and then back up this evening with the same older gentleman. His curiousity got the best of him and he asked me and I told him why I'm here. I knew he was a salesman - well, I thought I knew and he is. He's here once a week ... "Tomorrow I'm taking my wife out to dinner in Chicago." he told me. "Ah! Taking her somewhere great I hope." Casual conversations in the elevator with strangers. He's tired. I could see the lines around his eyes. How often is he away from the life he's working for? Is he home enough to make all the away - okay?

Now I'm going to take a nap until I wake up - and then I will study a bit. I am that kind of tired that makes your shoulders ache ... but I am smiling.

Notes from home: Four's replacement device in and well received - Mom is currently tolerable. Five has decided that it is time to begin shaving her legs - Mom sent detailed instructions making it sound like a lovely experience - Mom is missed. One sent encouraging note. Two sent I love you this moring bright and early (actually it was still dark). No word from Three - he'll hug me when he sees me kinda guy. L is asking "Is it what you were hoping it would be?" I think it's going to be what I make it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Conversations in elevators... That made me laugh. Imagine a middle-aged, silver haired, uniformed airline captain with shined shoes dragging 80 lbs. of home behind him... "Are you a pilot?" being my favorite...

DeAnn said...

Seems like people want to talk with each other, but just don't know what to say. How do you answer a question like that though?!