The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

50,51,52&53/1000

I flew today.

I woke up this morning knowing that I would fly today. That wakes me up with a smile on my lips before my eyes even open ... these moments I store to savor as seconds ... these seconds hold tomorrow's smiles which may be years in the making ... this year I have learned to count these smiles like little me used to count marbles.
Sometimes I have to get all the way to the coffee maker for a morning smile ... This morning I left my travel cup in the car and drank cold coffee on the drive home as the sun set. It was good. Cold coffee, bumpy air...fall colors on the country road leaves finding their way back down as surely as a little airplane ... a day full of joy ... full of smiles to savor.
Oh and this ... I'm telling my flying buddy 60kts on final or her landing technique isn't going to get the results she wants. It was crazy bumpy today, and while the wind wasn't high anywhere, it was moving around significantly. We were kinda starting to go back and forth on that ... I'm saying you are carrying too much energy down with you ... That's creating this problem ... Long story short she had 58 in her mind for a stalling speed and my advice for 60 just seemed a bit thin today. It turned out to be a MPH vs KIAS problem. I personally am flying a string line down to a specific spot on the asphalt and if it takes more or less umph to keep the slack out of the line that's fine. People seem to fly final with different ideas in mind. Me ... I want a stable picture ... a stable airspeed gives me that, but I am not looking at the ASI much at all ... I am looking at my spot on the runway and all that other stuff that may be getting ready to happen out there. My eyes want a stable picture as surely as my lips want to smile ... and my hand is on the throttle ready for trouble.

So ... Thankful for flying
Thankful for hot and cold coffee
Thankful for time spent with Captain Again ...
And also for the tastiest collard greens ever (even if I didn't recognize the meat used to season them and pig's feet was on the menu ... eeewww ... lol).

No comments: