The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Notes on Elie Wiesel's Trilogy and those sermon notes from our vist with a Presbyterian Congregation

Now I have finished reading The Night Trilogy ... A memoir and two novels (Elie Wiesel).
I have seen those tattoos on people. Several people. The guy I sang beside all through undergraduate school would sometimes invite me to his parents home for a meal. Both of his parents were accomplished musicians. (His dad was a medical doctor by profession, but violin virtuoso was his soul's expression ... His mother's hands drew melodies from their beautiful grand piano with her eyes closed ... She always played with her eyes closed, and when I listen to Schubert, Chopin, Wagner with my eyes closed, I hear her.) They were the only parents I knew who actually wanted their son to become a professional musician (which he did do to quite astonishing success ... we still keep up with each other and I intend to sing with him again someday ... ) Those are the tattoos I think of when I hear the word ... desecrating marks. And as Elie Wiesel's book Night documents, the tattoo was only a beginning to the desecration of a people and I believe, all humanity. I will hope that each of my children read this thoughtful trilogy.
On a purely intellectual level, DAWN is written with an interesting insight. For me, the underlying perspective is very powerful. At A-Mused, one of the few blogs I routinely look at, this little bit was offered for reflection:
If ever there is a tomorrow when we are not together, there is something you must always remember: You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.  But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart I’ll always be with you.
~ from Winnie the Pooh

I think Elie Wiesel's book, DAWN presents a picture of the ever present contributions to our lives, of those we have been shaped by, including all of our younger selves, and elegantly portrays our duty to them. ... yes, we carry them in our hearts ...

The Presbyterian order of worship, with my notes scribbled on it, has been my book mark this week, and before I put it away, I want to transfer a few thoughts to here.

*God's hands can be seen in His creation ... and via His creative hand, His mark is also in us like a self portrait. ... not especially as physical, rather as we really are ... He made us that special. (Spurgeon's sermon on the Miracle of Love expresses this same notion of "us" as we are seen by God ... Not the messed up us, but the restored us)
*his hands are on His creation too ... Col 1:17 (all things hold together ... and I listened just recently to Louie Giglio's talk on telomeres) There is a message from and of God in all He has made.
*Ps. 104 was the text, and hé gave Romans 8:28, Ps. 40, Heb.10 I Peter 5:6&7 ... Thé Pastor said "Praise thé Lord" is stated for the first time in the Book of Psalms here in chapter 104.

"No matter how your lot fell you can trust those hands to order, renew, save and restore ---> eternal life. This walk, in His hands, leads to Jesus Christ." would summarize what I thought was a beautifully crafted sermon

No comments: