The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Saturday, November 12, 2011

"A compliment is something like a kiss through a veil."-~Victor Hugo
Just an observation ... Sometimes It, whatever it is, takes a kick in the britches (or butt, as might be said ... My Granny said in the britches and I like the way it sounds) and sometimes a compliment remembered might provide just the right motivation.
Like most women my age, I would really like to lose a few pounds ... Especially on my mind now as we embark on fudge season (followed by Thin Mint season ... Oh, the irony). Well, this guy I was working with today is some kinda kick in the butt weight loss guru ... He operates a spa and says weight loss/ fitness is what he is awesome at helping people do. After talking to me a bit about my regimen ... walk Sammy and count calories almost everyday ... He said I would get better results from eating a ton more protein then I do and hitting the weight training rather then light cardio. He said if I want to do cardio it should be something other (more intense) then what I'm doing. He asked me how much I want to lose and I told him. Then he asked if that was the weight I secretly wished for and I admitted that it wasn't. He said I didn't strike him as the type who would settle for less then I really wanted. I thought to myself that I didn't used to be, but I asked him if my ideal weight was realistic for ... a woman my age. What is it about life that wrings us out to the point where we settle? I watched the videos of those young cellist play their music and I remember that type of unselfconscious abandon. Those guys are world class cellist essentially reinventing ... daring to explore ... reaching for and celebrating more. I loved the idea of crafting a life built around a consuming passion. I'm just talking about re-envisioning ... these twilighted years. More wonder. All in.

I'm going to give myself a shot as this more protein, more weight training approach. I have a goal and a date in mind. This is right up my alley. A compliment and a kick ... in the britches. If there is a way, I have the will.

No comments: