The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, November 8, 2011


"...attention -which derives from the Latin for "stretch toward" - we cannot go deeply in thought and relation. As a result attention is our most essential stepping stone to happiness but now I realize that happiness comes from complicated rhythms ...and it comes and goes...it's not a state of being that once reached, sticks..."
- Maggie Jackson author of Distracted: The Erosion of Attention and the coming Dark Age

Stretch toward and complicated rhythms and ... a chilled out pursuit of happiness.

I have about eight hours in that Warrior ... a few in an Arrow ... maybe ten in a Cherokee Six ... Over 50 in a Navajo and my great-grandmother was an American-Indian. Quess what is a kick in the britches ... I need 25 hours in the ... PA 28-151 in order to Flight Instruct in it. It's like it never ends!

I remember when I first started thinking about what I would actually do with my time as my house became empty because all the kids were at school. I was thinking about golfing. I was thinking about getting good enough at golfing that my husband would enjoy golfing with me when he retires ... you know ... You see those cute old people all fit and tanned laughing with each other in the Club House. My husband really likes to golf ... and he is really good at it. Golf was the one PE credit I needed in college. I wasn't very good at it ... it's not at all like pool which I did used to be embarrassingly good at ... but, I did enjoy that summer of golf, mostly because of a flirtation with the golf pro. I putt well enough to not attract too much laughter. I can't drive well at all ... I can't drive the ball at all is more the truth. But, I have acquired a true affinity for retrieving errant balls from the water hazards. Honestly, if it wouldn't embarrass my husband, I would spend the whole time it takes him to play 18 holes just sitting on the edge of the water with a telescoping ball wrangler. I love that. You never know what kind of ball you might snag, and there seem to be tons of them resting in the mud. It's a lot like fishing without the blood. I love it. L says, "No more then three balls per expedition ..." Apparently it's just not cool. I also like to drive the cart ... fast. So ... I thought I'd get the kids to school and go get awesome at golf. "If I work really really hard at it and get really really good at it will I ever be able to win a round when we play?" My exact words ... and his honest response, "No. Never ever ever ... and anyway, the only reason you like to golf is because you can see the planes."

I can't see why anyone would ever want to play a game they never seem to be able to win at. Till now. All it will take is 18 more hours ... in a warrior.

It. never. ends.

No comments: