The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Thursday, November 18, 2010

I don't know what the next few years will look like, but it seems like change for the better is in the air. I used to be well informed, hah, as well informed as I could be, about politics and National issues. I always vote, but I just don't spend the energy reading about and forming opinions on issues anymore. Leadership, for whatever reasons, seems to be in short supply in all levels of our culture.
How do you like these quotes?

I don't believe in team motivation. I believe in getting a team prepared so it knows it will have the necessary confidence when it steps on a field and be prepared to play a good game.
Tom Landry

A winner never stops trying.
Tom Landry

Football is an incredible game. Sometimes it's so incredible, it's unbelievable.
Tom Landry

I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.
Tom Landry

If you are prepared, you will be confident, and will do the job.
Tom Landry

Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control.
Tom Landry

Leadership is getting someone to do what they don't want to do, to achieve what they want to achieve.
Tom Landry

Right after the game, say as little as possible.
Tom Landry

Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan.
Tom Landry

The secret to winning is constant, consistent management.
Tom Landry

Today, you have 100% of your life left.
Tom Landry

When you want to win a game, you have to teach. When you lose a game, you have to learn.
Tom Landry

I grew up watching the Cowboys play ... make that win. Many of the young women I hung out with in college aspired to be Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders ... and of course the young men aspired to date them (the cheerleaders, ). Mr Landry became an icon for hard work, steely strap of your boots determination, focused dedication to one's objectives.
I've been interested in quotes for forever. Quotes are like snapshots ... they distill an idea. Why was I surprised when I happened on these quotes? Tom Landry seemed so silent pacing the sidelines with his fedora set just so and his arms frequently crossed over his chest and then suddenly flying up in to a signal.

I am happy to find these quotes just now. I have been focusing my surplus energy on aviation related endeavors. I don't sit well. I guess I was seeing this break wrong. I spoke with my very first flight instructor on the drive back home after the CFI check ride. He said my timing on this couldn't be better ... business for CFIs will be skyrocketing again before long. I've heard versions of that from several credible sources ... and I am embarrassed to admit, that as I sit here ... sat here, because I'm thinking about it differently today ... it seemed like the season was over and I wasn't going to be able to find a place to play (at this very serious stuff). I am very used to waking up, getting my people bundled and off, and then hitting this goal.

Goal complete, now what? I thought I knew.
Now nothing is what was echoing back. I don't want to kick clods around the airport.

I forgot about the off season ... after the Superbowl. I've been looking around my house for things to do ... and there are a few things to do. I will like painting the kitchen ... there is a spot of sheet rock that was removed to install a new appliance that I will have to repair first (I have a visceral reaction to the thought of sheet rock work, my skin and sinuses start feeling parched, but I can push through that ... it's just a tiny job, and it comes before the new paint color I want), and while I have my hands in wall mud, I might as well change the fixture over the kitchen sink. It's a square flush fixture now, but a pendant light would be an attractive update. I saw some amazing home fabrics yesterday ... and I know what to do with them, and I have some time for that if I use it wisely. The off season doesn't last forever.

Maybe the country has been in the off season as well.

No comments: