The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tonight's big topic is Aeromedical Factors. PHAK.
Basically, hypoxia,hyperventilation,middle ear/sinus/dental problems, spatial disorientation, motion sickness, carbon monoxide poisoning, stress and fatigue aka girlfriend problems, dehydration ,alcohol,drugs,OTC meds,scuba concerns ... what else? I usually talk just a bit about pregnant pilots (just in case), excess caffeine ... maybe I should have made arrangements to show them a photo I've seen of a disgusting looking barely opened crew meal. I'll show them the you tube video on hypoxia that they always like.
I spoke with one of my students who took an incomplete this summer because of a conflict with another University event ... I don't always go in after them if they can't keep up with their own stuff, maybe they need some time to mature in to someone who can become a professional pilot ... but this kid I particularly remembered as a good, hardworking student. I called him and left a message ... he returned the call before I had set the phone down. Turns out, he has been back and forth to home in a different state because his Dad (career AF fighter pilot) has had some cardio events caused by blood clots that have something to do with not wearing his compression suit and not taking his cumiden ... legit? I don't know. I typically give full leeway to credible whoopers. I did remember the military connection and I have heard of a blood thinner called cumiden (even if I don't have a clue how to spell it). Yes Mam this and that all the way to scheduling his make up final ... 32%of the total grade for a three credit hour class. Because of ROTC committments he is available only on Saturday (Oh, no way I say) or Wednesday night. I was really hoping to schedule him in to an empty seat in the back of the room while I teach ground ... . So Wednesday evening it is ... another night out of mi casa ... four in a row this week ... four in a row last week ... I think not teaching ground school next semester will be fine with my family.
I did visit with the FI this morning. We talked a little about my instructing prospects. He thinks they'll be needing CFIs by nlt January 2011. He thinks I should have kept my spot warm with the ground instructor gig. I told him that I have really really really enjoyed teaching this class, but I just can't balance the cost of all the bs with the few glimmers of joy ... last night I saw one of my favorites getting weather for a night flight ... I remember when he first came in, sitting on the front row, too intimidated to make eye contact. I will miss seeing them through the process, but there is a lot of stuff that I won't miss. I am certain that I can fill that void with family dinners.

No comments: