The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sunday evening ... It's already dark out. Because of the trees, I guess, it gets so dark here. The house that I hope to build at the beach should have a window to capture the airport beacon which is NNW of the higher ground that my husband has been tracking. There is an unrestricted view of the beacon from almost everywhere on the island. For some reason I like that.
All the paint that I purchased last week for the kitchen has been applied. This afternoon I put up a full wall of chalkboard paint. Everyone really likes it. I am looking forward to seeing how it works out ... for me ... it may feel like another place for clutter to collect. The old cabinets are original to this house. I like them. They are sturdy, made of real real wood ... If you look very closely you can find imperfections that clearly indicate the hand of the man who built them. I like to think of him standing back admiring his work the year I was born. I've sanded, stripped, refurbished hardware, eventually replacing all the hardware and wood puttying the scars ... I always paint them high gloss white. They are telling me it's time to do that again. Tucked inside one of the cabinets I have carefully taped pictures of first the children (some all grow up) and now grandchildren of friends ... . Wonder who has spent the most time on those cabinets ... Me or the guy with the hand planer? The kitchen has never looked better, but I'm wondering how I'm going to get the remaining traces of black paint off of my cuticles!

So, those two Roman shades led to this update ... Naturally that extended in to the breakfast room ... Already freshly repainted 'cept for the woodwork ... and with just enough fabric for two panels to install across the top of those windows. What's the old saying ... If I close my eyes I can almost hear Momma say, "Idle hands do mischief make ... ". Did she make that up? This sort of mindless business is the perfect environment for me to start thinking down the wrong track! Hey, you gotta think it up first! Speaking of which, my little 6'6" brother called to chittychat ... he always has a joke for me that makes me laugh out loud ... Unfortunately, they are seldom repeatable. Not vulgar, just not polite. He is currently researching herbal remedies for memory loss for our mother. A month ago his blood pressure was through the roof ... exasperated because she refuses to call for her biopsy results ... Now he is convinced that she just can't remember to do so. (Yes, I did tell him what you said about no news from the Dr. is good news ... He needed to hear that!).

Tonight we might have been returning from Port A ... Maybe that's why I'm a little wistful tonight.

So, tomorrow ... A call to make ... That will most likely lead to another trip over there. I've calculated that it would take $500.00 bucks a month to commute for that job ... Which might have yanked the chain that turned on the light to the epiphany about the perspective that the DFE holds. (I had hoped that I was too old to learn things the hard way ... I remember writing something that I'll have to reread about "I doubt it!" ... may haftah do a little rethink ... ). Today I texted back and forth with a recently departed buddy. After he got finished bitching about his layover in Toronto (seriously - told him to shut up and go for a walk, or out to eat because I think Toronto is beautiful and remember all kinds of wonderful restaurants there ... silly boy!) we started discussing the options I am circling around. He thinks I might as well sell my soul to the devil as make a deal with one of the operations I'm looking at. He is a smart kid ... a smartass kid, but a smart kid as well. I told him that the King Air time is very seductive ... as is the MEI ... it'd make opportunities for me that I may regret not having if I take a pass. He told me to talk to FI about it first. Now I am remembering what he didn't say ... FI keeps up with a guy who plugged in there while on furlough. OK. Well ... I am looking forward to seeing what the week holds. I am thankful for the smile that looking forward affords. I really wish I could visit with favorite CFI on this stuff ... he'd have an interesting perspective to offer ... I think he has significant King Air time. Oh well ... I'll get it figured out. I read here in my ramblings that I hoped to wake up on Christmas morning with the certif done ... I'm ahead of schedule on that and I really think I may have a job to start the new year with.

No comments: