The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Two things: One, my friend who knows me well called yesterday and said it seems like I have veered a little off track and I said yeah - that stuff I was doing is done and I'm just waiting to see what comes next. She was like uhhuh.
Me, sitting around, looking at the queso dip that mysteriously appeared on my new lamp shade, is not a very good version of me. I like the me that is accomplishing. We all know that house work is unrelenting ... it's just a fact that the trash can't carry itself out. H also called yesterday. She wondered how one gets that icky film out of the washing machine ... these are the daily concerns that we ladies who lunch deal with. Yes. I knew exactly what she was talking about and was able to offer a couple of tested remedies. Isn't it ironic that a washing machine will not keep itself clean? Remember the Beaver's mom? June Cleaver, right? Her house was impeccably tidy ... those black and white homemakers (including crusty uncle Charlie and the urbane Mr.French) set the standard that women from my vintage strive to attain. I wondered why June always wore her pearls and heels ... I realize now that she did so because she never left the house and she wanted to feel fabulous somewhere ... .
So,my buddygirl's uhhuh was more then an acknowledgement that I have completed an objective ... she thinks I may need to take a look at myself rather then that Queso. I have thought to get in the car and drive to the coast, but it's not the time for that.

Two, from thinking and re-reading that ground school post, I see something that I do know how to work on. I need to help my students see themselves in the airplane from the beginning. They show up in the class because they think they want to fly ... but they don't see themselves as pilots yet. My students are largely visually motivated ... the guys who tend to fall behind are the guys who are not flying concurrent with ground school. Sitting in the airplane makes the knowledge portion doable ... . I know that motivates them. I need to think of some ways to enliven ground school. The beginning material that is presented as a lecture ... those early bites need some seasoning. Seeing what pilots see will help with that. We see some really cool stuff.

I want some flight students. I'm missing the airplane. I'm missing what I see from there. The bug poop on the leading edges doesn't bother me like the spider webs on my front porch do! But today, I am going to bring my better self to the task of house wifery ... ha, I like it ... I am going to go find some snazzy shoes and a necklace and I am going to get that glob of queso gone. I might even hum along with some Glen Miller.

No comments: