The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Sunday, November 14, 2010



This image really resonates for me.

I am a huge fan of quilts. I like the idea of taking scraps ... the useable scraps of something ... and creating a new beautiful something out of it. I don't think of it as recycling, but that is exactly what recycling should be. I guess I have a collection of old quilts.

Quilts. We didn't use quilts when I was growing up. Quilts were probably seen as too old fashioned ... post WWII the economy was booming ... people were able to buy new stuff and a lot of the old art forms became dormant. The quilts I have came out of someone's closet ... they are relatively unused. I repair them with scraps from the fabric of my family's lives. My children use them ... carefully because they know that I treasure them. I love seeing my fully grown children snuggled under those old remnants ... time has softenned the sturdy cloth ... you can still feel the love that went in to making them. When you are under the weather, a really good quilt helps you get better quicker then anything else! It's the love stiched in! I am beginning to imagine some of them folded at the end of a little bunk beds waiting for visits from grandchildren. I wash them in that wonderfully scented laundry detergent now, but later they'll just smell like the beach ... .

This quilt was one of many draped over airplanes in a maintenance hanger that I visited this week ... there were several sick airplanes under blankies in there. I didn't meet the mechanic, but I will. I'm curious about what kind of person uses old quilts over the airplanes in his care. This quilt (in the photo) is very special ... it is appliqued ... a very time consuming thoughtful process of decorating the coverlet. High quality workmanship. The hanger itself was very tidy. I liked being there. I like a stranger who wraps his airplanes in quilts.

No comments: