The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Port Aransas

I really like going to Port Aransas - it's not the nicest beach I've seen but it's what I think of as my beach. L and I talked about it this morning - he's been out of town this week - and we think with the economy as crazy as it is that we better not spend the money renting a house and goofing off at the beach this Thanksgiving. We think we better save the money. I found a house in town - which was what L wanted and Tommy and my sister in law were going to come down. I am so glad that I haven't already invited my bf up for a few days - she would be bummed. We were going to make tamales. I am going to have to start rethinking this Holiday to make it fun for everyone - or at least try to make it nice.
Why do I love Port A especially? I like the way the dunes block the houses - I like the naturalness of that view. I like the birds there - so many different ones. I like the idea of being able to drive along the beach. I like it that you can build a fire and camp out if you want to. I like it that some people feel safe doing that but I secretly think it's crazy. I secretly (also) love to dig for sand dollars and I love it that I know how to find them! I did say last time (when I found about 30) that I wouldn't keep them this year - but now I think I would. I love to walk along the beach with a cup of hot coffee first thing in the morning - before the sun is really up. Sometimes I bring a little pail to hold stuff I pick up along the waters edge. I love the way the water feels sliding back and forth over my feet . I love to lick my lips and taste that salty ocean air. I love my hair blowing and tangling up and getting all thick and crazy - . I love going out to the second sand bar and jumping in the waves - now I take a tube out with me. I used to love to run along the surf but now I am happier just strolling. I love the planes on their training flights and the occassional helicopter making a derrick run. The kite surfers are endlessly entertaining. They're not always out though. I guess I like the sense of continuity. I enjoy cooking for everyone at the beach - that and playing in the water is about all I do. When the sun is setting I like to take another long walk ... then come home take a hot shower and drink a glass of wine before bed. Sometimes we sleep with the second floor doors open - in the Keys we had to keep the doors shut because a huge lizardthinglike3footlong was running around. Birds flying in I could be fine with - huge lizard boy would be a problem. We usually go out fishing at least one day while we're there - I just take pictures. I like being around people who are fishing but I don't like to fish. I am happy to be the distributor of beer and sunscreen. I would like to rent a catamaran next time we're over there. I love to sail and haven't in a long time. I think I'm going to have to start thinking about how long a drive that would be! I need to think about pumpkin soup and roasted turkey and all the dinner rolls everyone could possible want. I need to let the beach go. It'll be there later!

now it is later and L wants me to make a lowball offer to the local prop. managers an see what happens so the beach may still happen -

No comments: