The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Today was a fun day. FI showed up thirty minutes late for the big luncheon. A power outage due to a ltn strike set the traffic lights off and put a cop in the blowing rain and baby gr in every intersection along his way. That was his story. A lot of the guys made it back in to town. They think I've been spending my time in a cancer box ... I didn't have a clue what that meant. A tanning bed. I can't even imagine myself in a tanning bed. Playing in the water with V everyday browns me. The chief sat down beside me for lunch. He asked me if I had put in an application with them. That sounds good. during the conversation I told him that I am certain that I will be awesome at flight instructing. He said confidence is a big part of what it takes. I am going to start brushing up on stuff ... both in the air and on the ground. I am going to get my hopes up. I'm going to do everything I can to support this possibility. Guys who have been there less then a year are getting scooped up by the regionals. I don't have a big career dream in mind. I would like to excel at this level. That's always been my objective. Later I'd like a different challenge ... maybe. That bucket list is starting to be pretty appealing. Maybe I'll just get lazy.

I really like this iPad2. It is so much fun to watch those NOVA specials while I do stuff. Now I am suspicious about their content, but I still love picking out what I'll watch next. Netflix and hulu rock.

The guy I intended to do my commercial check ride with was chief here when my FI soloed in 1967. I've known him since I first started flying and it was great to see him. He said some nice things today about FI. The instructor who signed FI for his solo flight was out here today also. I had seen him around, and figured he was retired airlines, but hadn't met him before. They are old friends. FI started out in the F100 Super Sabre ... Finished here at 35 hours in a Cessna 150 then on to that. Wowie. Today he said he had never instructed in anything as light as the C172s before coming back. ... He said many nice things about how well this time would serve the guys and how worthwhile this time was towards building a wonderful career. He loved his Air Force time and his Airline time. He loved coming back here he said ... He said he never planned on completing this circle but he was pleased that it had gone this way.
I told him I thought to bring some fertilizer in support of his sudden interest in Heritage tomatoes, but didn't want to stink up the restaurant ... He laughed. He knew exactly where I was going with that. He said, "Yeah, I'm gonna miss all the free fertilizer out here". I can't even imagine the place without him.

No comments: