The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Saturday, June 11, 2011

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
~ Howard Thurman quotes (American Theologian, Clergyman and Activist. 1900-1981)


When I woke up at four this morning and remembered that I fly today, I smiled ...one of those huge smiles that stretches from the tips of my pointed toes all the way to the ends of my sleep tangled hair.  Today is sure to be an excellent day.
This flight is a favor for a bud. He called a couple of weeks ago and asked me to do it ... a last flight for the mother of someone on his staff.  I haven't met her yet, but I understand she has had a paralyzing stoke, but wants nothing more then a last flight.  Yeah ... no problem ... can do ... will do.  It's not ideal to put an older lady who finds herself confined to a wheel chair up in the front seat of a C172 ... that might be a bit tricky, but we'll make it happen ... my only only concern is emergency egress ... I'd sure hate to kick an old lady to the curb so to speak ... thinking through the possibilities here, nothing less! 
They have called a few times this week ... finalizing details ... the mother is very excited.  I feel fortunate to help someone out like this ... it's really a blessing to get to participate in some one's joy. So ... that's what'sup this morning bright and early.  Btw ... the cardinal is sitting on that nest as though survival of her species depends on it.  Love that dedication! ... This may just be my little flight of fancy, but when she sees me looking at her she looks away, pretending not to see me ... if she doesn't see me, maybe we can all pretend that I don't see her either ... I do that ... that's how I keep space around myself ... I look away.  Sometimes, you just gotta look away.  And, it seems only mannerly to look away when someone else seems to prefer that.

Here's something kind of precious ... Yesterday my phone rang and I noted an unknown number before I answered.  Turns out it's a kid from one of my private ground school classes from several years back ... do I remember him?  "Sure" I answer "... front row, you were one of my favorites." Truth is, each one of them is one of my favorites and I probably do remember each one of them that were even just a bit serious about the material ... the sorority girls who sat in to drool are kind of a blur ... it was someone elses job to remember those cuties.  This kid was a real stand out ... he insisted loud and proud that his CFI had definitely told him that departure with a tailwind was always preferred.  See ... that's memorable ... you gotta correct the misinformation immediately because you're responsible for about thirty first time "hearer/learners ... at the same time you want to protect the kid's willingness to put it out there.  We went round and round on that that night.  I was so impressed with the kids total commit to what he thought he heard ... even as I got tickled at his ... let's call it stubbornness.  When I ran short on time to mess wiith him, I pulled my phone out and got his CFI on the speakerphone ... it was a good lesson time that night ... the class gelled.  So ... later in the semester, same kid has his team convinced to fly almost due west on an easterly VFR altitude.  I tell his group they better check their stuff "cause they got some stink going on ...  !"  Big personality ... very persuasive.  Yeah ... he was one of my favorites.  Getting ready for his CFI check ride ... he is buzzing!  I could feel it through the phone line.  He wants to know if I will sit down with him and do a little mock run through.  Sure thing.  I am already smiling at the opportunity to see if someone was able to remove the bone from this kid's head ... it was interfering with his hearing!  I think it's really sweet that he called me ... so ... Monday afternoon is set aside for him. 

No comments: