The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Caring. 21 October 2009

Lately - just lately - I have been thinking about the act of caring - as in caring about. It's easy to "not care about that", it's easier to let those things slide away (to the place where ice cream tries to make it better). That has not been working for me though - lol. I said, in conversation yesterday, that you have to not care "toomuch". You have to care in a detached way, I said.

What?!?! How does that work? I believe caring is pretty much a hands on activity. I don't know why I said those care "carefully" things. The friend I was talking with said "Whoa, that sounds like a I cared about someone and they hurt my feelings so now I'm going to care less...kind of thing". Which, in fact is exactly what it was and he knows it.

Someone else at work expressed his take on caring - If your last name is not his last name how much energy can he really be expected to expend on caring about you...something like that. Sounds a little cavalier...sounds like a good plan for keeping yourself detached.

My husband is reading a book that caused him to share this idea with me: Ones gifts (what they are naturally good at - their talents) are their "ammo", their passion is their target, circumstances bring those two things together.

I care. I care too much. That is one of the things I am really good at.

I am passionate about very little.

I think I can afford to care well for those things I am passionate about. I think I may even have a little bit of room to be passionate about more things.

No comments: